With 5 spots up for grabs in your backline, there are lots of options open to you. With attacking players more likely to return higher points totals come the end of the season, we recommend the standard 3 starters at the back with 2 defenders warming the bench.
With these starters in mind, we suggest shopping at the £5.5m pricetag for at least 2 of them…
10 Fantasy Football Addict Tips
- It’s clear that the top teams secure far more clean sheets over the course of the season, so your core should feature at least 2 of these defenders.
- To free up budget for attacking players, you should look at the cheapest starters you can find from teams like Chelsea, Arsenal, City and United.
- At the £5.5m bracket, there are a decent amount of options to pick from including Mertesacker, Debuchy, Shaw, Darmian and Mangala too if he can nail down a role alongside Kompany in City’s defence.
- With Cech guarding the goal, it’s worth picking up an Arsenal defender at a decent cost of £5.5m. He’s a top notch keeper who will inspire confidence throughout the season.
- United’s backline will take time to gain an understanding with one another but in Shaw and Darmian, they have two quality full backs, which will provide plenty of attacking threat whilst defending with gusto.
- United’s centre back pairing is still up in the air with FPL midfielder Blind possibly occupying one of the spots, so it’s worth going with Shaw or Darmian (both priced at £5.5m) for the start of the season.
- City were uncharacteristically shaky at the back last season, with Kompany (£6m) particularly guilty on more than one occasion. He looked a shadow of the dominating defender he’s proven to be over the years and it’ll be interesting to see if he can bounce back this season.
- Clichy and Kolarov both come in at £5.5m but they’ll be dueling it out for the left back position. Clichy is clearly the better defensive option but against weaker opposition it wouldn’t be a surprise to see Kolarov start.
- Unsurprisingly, none of Chelsea’s defenders come in at £5.5m, so you’ll have to spend a little more of your budget to get one of them into your squad. The other alternative is to go with Courtois who is priced at a generous £5.5m.
- For £0.5m more at the pricetag of £6m, you can get Azpilicueta, the cheapest Chelsea defender available, Koscielny, Kompany and Zabaleta (who may miss the start of the season, having taken part in Copa America duty over the summer).
To ensure that you don’t miss out on any Fantasy Football Addict articles as you develop your pre-season squad, like us on Facebook and Twitter, where you’ll receive the latest news we find alongside updates for when articles have been published!
Image Credit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ronmacphotos/