With the final international break of 2013 behind us, it’s plain sailing from here. So get ready for non-stop fantasy football action as we reach the meat of our season sandwich, beginning with Gameweek 12.
The weekend kicks off with the Merseyside derby when Everton host Liverpool in Saturday’s lunchtime fixture. It’s set to be a feisty affair and goals are sure to flow. As usual, there are a number of games at 3pm with Arsenal vs Southampton being the pick of the bunch. With Arsenal falling short in their test against United last time out, Wenger will be keen to pass the next one when high flyers Saints come to town.
Finishing things off in the evening fixture we have Chelsea travelling to a West Ham side struggling with defensive injuries. On Sunday, both Manchester clubs are in action with Spurs travelling to the Etihad at 1.30pm before Cardiff take on United at 4pm. Finishing the gameweek off on Monday evening, we have another derby in the form of West Brom against Villa.
If you’re new to Fantasy Football Addict, this is our weekly segment where we choose 11 players in a valid formation to enter our Fantasy Football Addict Select XI for the upcoming gameweek. We look into the fixtures and form to see which players are most likely to score high.
So without further ado, here is our selection for the twelfth gameweek of the season:
- Tim KRUL [NOR(H), 5.0m] – Krul was outstanding against Spurs, pulling off a record-breaking 14 saves in the game to secure the victory for Newcastle. Norwich have struggled for goals and with Coloccini returning, chances of another clean sheet are high.
- Gareth MCAULEY [AVL(H), 5.4m] – With two clean sheets in their last four, the Baggies have a decent shout of keeping Villa out in Monday’s evening fixture. In addition, McAuley has also produced a goal and a clean sheet in the last two West Brom games displaying his attacking threat.
- John TERRY [WHM(A), 6.4m] – Mourinho will be keen to avoid dropping any further points after the draw with West Brom last time out and this is a game he’ll want to win. It should be a tight game with Allardyce likely to continue his false 9 setup, giving Terry the opportunity to pick up a rare clean sheet. He’s also displayed his attacking ability in recent weeks and there’s every chance he could return something from a set piece.
- Curtis DAVIES [CPL(H), 4.6m] – Hull have looked strong this season and if they keep it up, they have a shot of staying up this season. Bruce will be targeting a victory in this battle between two promoted sides. Hull have been excellent defensively at home with 3 clean sheets in their last 3 matches and with Palace struggling for goals, we’re backing them to make it 4 in 4.
- Yohan CABAYE [NOR(H), 6.3m] – Cabaye will still be buzzing from the international turnaround that he was a part of, as France defeated Ukraine 3-0 to reach the World Cup. This is sure to have an effect when he takes to the field to continue Newcastle’s good form. With 2 goals and 2 assists so far, against Norwich, he may just add to that tally.
- Stephane SESSEGNON [AVL(H), 6.6m] – West Brom were unfortunate not to win at Stamford Bridge in Gameweek 11 with a poor penalty decision going the way of Chelsea. Sessegnon was recently named the Baggies’ player of the month and he’s said that the best is yet to come. With this being a local derby, we’re expecting a raucous atmosphere at the Hawthorns, with the home fans providing plenty of encouragement for their record signing to help their side defeat Villa on Monday evening.
- Kevin MIRALLAS [LIV(H), 7.2m] – Mirallas returned to form during the international break, scoring the opening goal against Japan in Belgium’s friendly. This will have boosted his confidence and he’ll need to be on his game when Everton take on Liverpool in the gameweek’s first matchup. The atmosphere will be electric and we can expect an end-to-end game that won’t let up for the entire 90 minutes.
- Eden HAZARD [WHM(A), 9.3m] – Hazard’s comments about De Bruyne seem to have been blown out of proportion by a hungry media during the international break. Mourinho will understand where Hazard is coming from and we shouldn’t expect another Schalke punishment. The talented Belgian showed his importance to the Chelsea side against West Brom, creating a goal and tucking away the last minute penalty, and he is sure to start this weekend. West Ham have a number of defenders struggling to be fit for this game, setting the stage for Hazard to continue his form.
- Luis SUAREZ [EVE(A), 12.0m] – As we suspected last week, Suarez battered Fulham, scoring twice whilst creating another. The Uruguayan is in excellent form and will prove to be a constant menace in the Merseyside derby. The crowd will be against him but this may simply give him more motivation to keep them quiet.
- Sergio AGUERO (C) [TOT(H), 11.9m] – Aguero continued his fine form during the international break, scoring a brace against Bosnia. With Silva missing, his appeal is dented but as Aguero has shown in the past, all he may need is the one chance. This will be a tricky game against Spurs but Aguero has too much class to leave out of the Select XI.
- Loic REMY [NOR(H), 7.9m] – Finishing off our strikeforce, we have an in-form budget striker with Loic Remy. With 7 goals already this season, he is proving to be a great purchase and looks full of confidence. With no clear armband favourite this weekend, those brave enough to take a gamble on Remy could be rewarded.
[box type=”info”]If you have any opinions on the Fantasy Football Addict Select XI, please share them with us by sending an email to email@example.com or by leaving a comment in the box below. Alternatively, you can tweet us at @FFAddicted or leave a message on our Facebook page. Also, don’t forget to like us for your chance to win a detailed analysis of your fantasy premier league squad in our monthly giveaway, GET INVOLVED![/box]
Author Credit: Richard Lam
Image Credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/coreyadamcrowley/