It seems like an age since the last gameweek with internationals taking place over the past fortnight but our treasured Premier League is finally back and with it, delicious fantasy points.
Over this break, you will have had time to assess your squad, looking to shift some dead weight whilst eyeing up potential targets. Questions like will Sanchez be rested and can United’s defence continue to grind out results will have played on your mind but all you can do is guess and hope you’ve made the right decision.
The break has helped some players return from injury, with Silva and Aguero pictured in training. City have successfully navigated a set of fixtures without their two shining stars and remain at the summit, which only spells danger for their rivals over coming weeks. Starts may be beyond them but expect the duo to take to the pitch at some point as Pellegrini eases them back into action.
Monitoring City’s performance against Liverpool is key and if both players come through unscathed, it might be worth pulling the Aguero plan out of the drawer. 13m is hard to free up but for the explosive Argentinian, he can be worth every penny, especially with a 5-goal haul to his name this season.
Anyway, that’s enough talk of how amazing Aguero could be for our squads, let’s get down to business.
So without further ado, here is our weekly FFA Select XI, where we’ve chosen 11 players in a valid formation who we think will score highly this gameweek…
- Maarten STEKELENBURG [STO(H), 5.0m] – Southampton’s defence has held firm for the past 2 gameweeks and if Van Dijk can shake off his knock, they have every chance of making it 3 from 3. They welcome a Stoke side that has only managed 2 goals in their last 4 games, which bodes well for Stekelenburg.
- Eric DIER [WHM(H), 5.2m] – West Ham will sorely miss their playmaker Payet and against Spurs’ high tempo game, they may struggle to get a foothold. Dier will be boosted by his selection for England and classified as a defender in the FPL game, stands to benefit from potential clean sheet points despite his holding midfield role.
- Chris SMALLING [WAT(A), 6.7m] – United picked up yet another clean sheet in the last gameweek to make it 4 from 4, with Smalling racking up 30 points in this period. His pricetag is rising but if Van Gaal can keep the United defence well drilled, Smalling will be worth the outlay.
- Seamus COLEMAN [AVL(H), 5.9m] – Villa have only managed to score twice in the last 5 gameweeks and despite Everton missing their rock Jagielka, a rare clean sheet could be on the cards for Coleman. Everton’s attack has more than enough quality to test Villa’s backline and will provide Garde with another tricky encounter in his second game in charge.
- Gerard DEULOFEU [AVL(H), 6.2m] – Deulofeu has been in fantastic form for both club and country. Before heading off to represent the Spanish U21s, he notched 4 assists and a goal in the last 3 gameweeks. He took this form into the international break, scoring 5 times for his country! Deulofeu will be brimming with confidence as he welcomes Villa to Goodison in Gameweek 13.
- Yannick BOLASIE [SUN(H), 6.1m] – Another player to have found the net over the break is Bolasie, who scored in both games for DR Congo. Palace shocked everyone by beating Liverpool at Anfield in Gameweek 12 and Pardew will be looking for them to build on the morale-boosting victory when they host Sunderland this weekend.
- Georginio WIJNALDUM [LEI(H), 7.0m] – Wijnaldum came good on our previous Select XI, setting up the only goal in the fortuitous 1-0 win over Bournemouth, so we’re willing to hold for one more week. It may not be easy against high flyers Leicester but we’re expecting Newcastle to carve out their fair share of chances with Wijnaldum key to their attacking play.
- Riyad MAHREZ [NEW(A), 6.7m] – Mahrez may well have justified his pick too in the last Select XI but like most of us, he wanted to see Vardy reach the record and passed over his penalty duties. It will be a great shame if Vardy isn’t passed fit for the match but with 2 goals and 2 assists in the last 4 outings, Mahrez has the talent to carry on the fight.
- Mesut OZIL [WBA(A), 8.9m] – Ozil has become the assist king and is living up to Wenger’s pre-season prediction. Despite only scoring once this campaign, Ozil has racked up an incredible 10 assists already and his consistency is dragging us away from Sanchez who looks like he may be in need of a rest. With the German game against Netherlands called off due to a bomb threat, Ozil will be well rested and ready to mastermind West Brom’s downfall.
- Romelu LUKAKU [AVL(H), 8.6m] – Despite Villa grinding out a clean sheet in Gameweek 12, City had their fair share of clear cut chances. It’ll be interesting to see how they react if they go behind and that is entirely possible with Lukaku looking to penetrate their backline having scored in the last 2 gameweeks.
- Harry KANE (C) [WHM(H), 9.4m] – Spurs were fantastic away at the Emirates, full of running and endeavour, with Pochettino’s regimented training coming to the fore. Whether they can keep it up all season remains to be seen but for now, they are more than a match for anyone and Kane is the man leading the way with 5 goals in his last 3 games.
If you have any opinions on the Fantasy Football Addict Select XI, please tweet us at @FFAddicted or leave a message on our Facebook page. Also, don’t forget to like us for your chance to win a detailed analysis of your fantasy premier league squad in our monthly giveaway, GET INVOLVED!
Image Credit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/edrost88/