It’s December now and there’s no time to worry about Christmas shopping because we’re entering a part of the season that could make it or break it for your team. To get us started, we’ve got a midweek round of fixtures so there’s no time to dwell on Gameweek 13.
Strangely enough, there’s only the one fixture taking place on Tuesday evening with Crystal Palace taking on West Ham in Pulis’ first home game whilst everyone else plays on Wednesday. One of the main matches includes Moyes taking on his former side at Old Trafford. Both teams are in strong form and this should be a lively match with goals at either end.
It’ll be a busy bumper Wednesday evening so make sure you clear your schedule as Arsenal and Liverpool entertain Hull and Norwich in two favourable home fixtures. In addition, Chelsea, Spurs and City travel to Sunderland, Fulham and West Brom respectively as they look to secure some difficult away victories.
If you’re new to Fantasy Football Addict, this is our weekly segment where we choose 11 players in a valid formation to enter our Fantasy Football Addict Select XI for the upcoming gameweek. We look into the fixtures and form to see which players are most likely to score high.
So without further ado, here is our selection for the fourteenth gameweek of the season:
- Jussi JAASKELAINEN [CPL(A), 5.5m] – Palace have been strong defensively since Holloway’s departure but this has come at a cost with goals failing to flow at the other end. This should be a tight affair giving Jaaskelainen a decent chance of securing a clean sheet after picking up 4 in his last 7 matches.
- Jose FONTE [AVL(H), 5.4m] – The injury to Boruc will be a blow to Southampton’s defensive resolve but Villa have been far from prolific in front of goal. The Saints’ defensive record at home is excellent conceding a single goal in their last 5 matches in front of their home fans.
- Glen JOHNSON [NOR(H), 5.7m] – Liverpool suffered a shock at Hull and Rodgers will be keen to get his team back on track when they entertain Norwich on Wednesday evening. Liverpool have been in great form at Anfield scoring 11 goals and conceding only two. Johnson has a great opportunity to score points at both ends of the field in Gameweek 14.
- Per MERTESACKER [HUL(H), 5.8m] – Arsenal are in a rich vein of form keeping 4 clean sheets in their last 5 games and Hull with their hands full trying to contain them. Mertesacker has been a rock at the back for the Gunners and he’ll be tasked with stopping Hull who will be buoyant after their home victory against Liverpool.
- Philippe COUTINHO [NOR(H), 8.6m] – Coutinho has been passed fit by Rodgers after completing training this week and will be fine for the game against Norwich. This is welcome news for a side that struggled without the creativity of Sturridge and the Brazilian. In front of their home fans, we’re backing Liverpool to produce a comfortable home victory with Coutinho playing a major role.
- Samir NASRI [WBA(A), 8.1m] – Nasri rewarded our faith with a fine brace at the weekend, so we’ve given him another shot as he’ll be flying with confidence. City’s away form has been dire this season but this can’t continue as they pick up win after win at the Etihad. This will be a tricky game but one that Nasri could leave his mark on.
- Adam LALLANA [AVL(H), 7.0m] – Southampton have had two tricky games against Arsenal and Chelsea so it’ll be a welcome return to St Mary’s where they take on a Villa side struggling for form. Lallana was inspirational in their last home game against Hull, picking up a goal and an assist and we’re backing him once more to do the business.
- Aaron RAMSEY [HUL(H), 7.4m] – Ramsey-less managers are still waiting for his form to stop but they could be waiting a long time as the Welshman picked up 2 goals at the weekend. At 7.4m, his price is still a snippet and regardless of the number of managers who own him, he’s still worth the investment.
- Luis SUAREZ (C) [NOR(H), 12.3m] – Suarez picked up a rare blank away at Hull without his partner in crime Sturridge but we’re not expecting lightning to strike twice with a home game against Norwich next up. Coutinho is back in the picture and Liverpool will be a different force at Anfield.
- Romelu LUKAKU [MUN(A), 8.1m] – Everton were superb at the weekend, putting 4 past Stoke and with United keeping only 3 clean sheets all season, Lukaku could prove to be a thorn in their side. More importantly, Jones is suspended and his defensive protection will be missing on Wednesday night.
- Wayne ROONEY [EVE(H),11.1m] – The one man who can stop Everton is Wayne Rooney, who is in great form scoring 5 goals and 5 assists in the last 6 gameweeks and has been thriving up top whilst Van Persie has been out. The Dutchman could be back for Gameweek 14 but we’re still backing Rooney to have the added motivation of sticking it to his former side.
[box type=”info”]If you have any opinions on the Fantasy Football Addict Select XI, please share them with us by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by leaving a comment in the box below. Alternatively, you can tweet us at @FFAddicted or leave a message on our Facebook page. Also, don’t forget to like us for your chance to win a detailed analysis of your fantasy premier league squad in our monthly giveaway, GET INVOLVED![/box]
Author Credit: Richard Lam
Image Credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nasmac/