So following the devastating news that Aguero’s out for at least the next 4 weeks, December looks a whole lot different. With City’s brilliant fixtures, he was sure to be our captaincy choice for the foreseeable future but his injury has definitely spiced things up.
With a number of strikers vying to take Aguero’s place, it gives us the opportunity to shake up our squad ahead of the busy festive schedule. With games coming thick and fast towards the end of the month, changes are inevitable so the importance of having bench players who can come in definitely increases.
With the funds freed up from selling Aguero, it’s time to invest in your squad and ensure that whilst you’re digging into some turkey or getting ready for New Year’s, you also won’t be cursing the fact that only 10 players featured for you. Christmas is a time for celebration and hopefully lots of points will rain down from high above.
If you’re new to Fantasy Football Addict, this is our weekly segment where we choose 11 players in a valid formation to enter our Fantasy Football Addict Select XI for the upcoming gameweek. We look into the fixtures and form to see which players are most likely to score high.
So without further ado, here is our selection for the 16th gameweek of the season:
- Fraser FORSTER [BUR(A), 5.4m] – Forster has been in great form this season and is currently sitting atop the goalkeeper charts. Although, Southampton haven’t been particularly impressive lately, when you take into account that they’ve played City, Arsenal and United, it puts things into perspective. Next up, they tackle Burnley where a clean sheet could very well be a possibility.
- Cesar AZPILICUETA [HUL(H), 6.1m] – Azpilicueta could be a rotation risk over the festive period with Luis waiting in the wings but he remains the cheapest option in Chelsea’s backline and has racked up the defensive points in recent weeks. A home game at Hull should be a stroll if Chelsea attack with the right mindset with City snapping at their heels.
- Leighton BAINES [QPR(H), 7.3m] – Since returning from injury, Baines has been a let-down but he has the chance to put things right this weekend. QPR have been very open in the pursuit of goals, conceding many chances and if these defensive lapses continue, Baines and co are sure to capitalise.
- Pablo ZABALETA [LEI(A), 6.4m] – City have continued their impressive form despite Aguero’s absence and we’d be surprised if we saw anything other than a win away at Leicester. Zabaleta seems to have the manager’s faith over Sagna and with 2 goals in his last 3 in all competitions, the Argentinian is showing Pellegrini that he can chip in when goals are needed too.
- Dusan TADIC [BUR(A), 7.8m] – For our first midfield choice, we’re taking a slight gamble on Tadic who has struggled for returns this season. His attacking stats read quite differently and he finally picked up an assist against United. Burnley are far from secure at the back and Tadic can provide the creativity to secure points this weekend.
- Alexis SANCHEZ [NEW(H), 11.3m] – Given a complete rest in the Champions League, Sanchez should be fully refreshed for FPL duty. He picked up an assist last week to keep his points ticking over and with Aguero out, managers will be hoping this expensive outlay can continue to produce.
- Eden HAZARD (C) [HUL(H), 10.4m] – Another player who was given the midweek off was Hazard as Mourinho looks ahead to the Christmas period. This was music to the ears of Hazard managers and with a goal in each of his last 4 home games, he was the obvious captaincy choice for Gameweek 16.
- Samir NASRI [LEI(A), 8.2m] – With Aguero out, the City attacking options are quite varied with no player being the obvious choice. Toure has produced of late but there are question marks over whether this can continue with Silva back. Silva has just returned and needs to regain fitness, so we’re going with Nasri who has impressive attacking stats and scored a cracker against Roma whilst setting up Zabaleta too.
- Romelu LUKAKU [QPR(H), 9.1m] – With Everton’s favourable home game against a QPR side without Charlie Austin, this should be a great opportunity for Lukaku to come back onto our radars. He’s picked up 6 goals so far this season but with so much competition for our striker spots, he needs to offer us a little more encouragement.
- Diego COSTA [HUL(H), 11.0m] – Costa might be going through a little bit of a dry spell but let’s not forget that he is a top striker who has already scored 11 in his first season in the Premier League. A home game against Hull could be just the ticket he needs to get back on the goalscoring trail.
- Diafra SAKHO [SUN(A), 5.8m] – Sakho returned with a bang last week against Swansea with a lively second half performance. Carroll may have received the plaudits but Sakho is a viable option too, coming in at 1.1m cheaper. In 45 minutes, he hit both posts before finishing with aplomb when one on one with Fabianski. Next up is Sunderland and Poyet will be worried by West Ham’s attacking threat.
[box type=”info”]If you have any opinions on the Fantasy Football Addict Select XI, please tweet us at @FFAddicted or leave a message on our Facebook page. Also, don’t forget to like us for your chance to win a detailed analysis of your fantasy premier league squad in our monthly giveaway, GET INVOLVED![/box]
Author Credit: Richard Lam
Image Credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/edrost88/