It felt a little bizarre having no football to follow during this midweek break but there was a bombshell as Chelsea sacked Mourinho.
The loss at Leicester proved to be the last straw with Abramovich finally losing patience. Only Villa and Sunderland have lost more games this season, showing just how far Chelsea have fallen from being title champions back in May.
If you said to someone back in August that come Christmas, Chelsea would be hovering above the relegation zone, you might have been placed in a mental institution or offered some very handsome odds for your prediction.
But that’s how it has turned out and it serves as a reminder that anything can happen in this amazing game of football that we all love.
Anyway, like Chelsea have chosen to do so, let’s move on…
So without further ado, here is our weekly FFA Select XI, where we’ve chosen 11 players in a valid formation who we think will score highly this gameweek…
- Jack BUTLAND [CPL(H), 5.0m] – Butland had his hands full keeping out West Ham last weekend but keep them out he did. Making 8 saves in total, Butland was rightly rewarded the maximum bonus points to rack up a very tidy 11-point haul. At home to Palace, we’re backing him to perform similar heroics.
- Craig DAWSON [BOU(H), 5.1m] – This weekend, it’s a little tricky predicting clean sheets so we’ve chosen the Baggies man Dawson. West Brom haven’t kept a clean sheet for a while now but if they can cope with the pace of King and Stanislas, they may be able to bring a halt to Bournemouth’s impressive run.
- Daryl JANMAAT [AVL(H), 4.9m] – Villa showed signs of improvement in the second half against Arsenal but they still failed to find the back of the net and will struggle to replicate the same performance away from home. With Janmaat’s attacking capabilities, he could return a strong score in Gameweek 17.
- Kurt ZOUMA [SUN(H), 5.4m] – With Mourinho gone, it’ll be interesting to see how the players react and whether Zouma will hold on to his spot. But we’re backing the youngster as Chelsea host a Sunderland side who are far from prolific in front of goal and may be more concerned with stopping Chelsea from scoring than scoring themselves.
- Marko ARNAUTOVIC [CPL(H), 6.1m] – Arnautovic may have blanked against West Ham but he did have 3 attempts on goal and we’re expecting more against Palace. If Shaqiri can recover in time, it will further boost Arnautovic’s potential, given that he was the creator for both of his goals when Stoke last won at home.
- Riyaad MAHREZ [EVE(A), 6.9m] – Leicester fans will have been over the moon to hear Mahrez announce that he won’t be leaving in January and they should savour every minute of this season. It’s unlikely to get any better than watching someone as talented as Mahrez drive them to top echelons of the league, inspiring Vardy to record-breaking exploits in the process.
- Georginio WIJNALDUM [AVL(H), 7.0m] – In Newcastle’s last home game, Wijnaldum scored and created the other for a 2-0 victory over Liverpool. Against the basement dwellers, Villa, Wijnaldum will look to be just as clinical to secure more points to drag Newcastle further up the table.
- Jordan HENDERSON [WAT(A), 6.5m] – Henderson has missed practically the entire season and seems eager to make up for lost time as shown by his goal and assist against West Brom (whilst having 5 attempts on goal overall). Having had the entire week to prepare, Liverpool will be raring to go and this should be a tasty encounter against Watford.
- Olivier GIROUD [MCI(H), 9.0m] – Giroud continued his impressive scoring this season, dispatching from the spot when Walcott was fouled last week. This Monday, he’ll be coming up against City and it should be a fantastic match to watch where Giroud should have more chances to add to his goal tally.
- Romelu LUKAKU (C) [LEI(H), 9.2m] – With 12 goals to his name already this season, Lukaku has now scored in 6 consecutive games and is looking unstoppable. Next up, he comes head to head with the man who holds the record and this looks like another terrific game to look forward to in Gameweek 17.
- Odion IGHALO [LIV(H), 6.0m] – Another striker in superb form is Ighalo, who has scored 10 times this season to make a mockery of his pricetag. He had 4 shots on target against Sunderland and will be looking to once again team up with Deeney to test Liverpool’s resolve.
If you have any opinions on the Fantasy Football Addict Select XI, please tweet us at @FFAddicted or leave a message on our Facebook page. Also, don’t forget to like us for your chance to win a detailed analysis of your fantasy premier league squad in our monthly giveaway, GET INVOLVED!
Image Credit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bluebirdwfc/