What a gameweek to kick things off! There were some excellent goals from the first round of fixtures with Welbeck’s delightful chip worthy of a mention as United defied all of their doubters. We had rampaging full-backs in the form of Shaw and Coleman, and it is unsurprising that they find themselves in our Select XI this time round. The average score was 63 points, which was a good start for all fantasy managers with RVP’s impressive double and the double gameweekers helping most of us.
However, there’s no time to dwell on the past as another gameweek is upon us and another opportunity to rake in the beautiful fantasy points we crave. We’ve got some great fixtures in Gameweek 2 with the highlight coming right at the end on Monday night, where United host Chelsea. This is sure to be a cracker as Moyes faces off against Mourinho and a win for either side would be a significant boost at this stage of the season.
If you’re new to Fantasy Football Addict, this is our weekly segment where we choose 11 players in a valid formation to enter our Fantasy Football Addict Select XI for the upcoming gameweek. We look into the fixtures and form to see which players are most likely to score high.
So without further ado, here is our selection for the very first gameweek of the season:
- Hugo LLORIS [SWA(H), 6.0m] – Spurs weren’t at their best last week when they faced Crystal Palace but they were secure at the back and ground out the victory. Lloris is a top notch goalkeeper and is sure to be tested when Swansea visit this weekend. However, we fancy his chances of keeping a clean sheet as Spurs look to grind out another win in front of their home fans.
- Pablo ZABALETA [CAR(A), 6.1m] – Zabaleta was very impressive going forward on Monday night when City faced Newcastle and was unlucky not to find his name on the scoresheet. Taking on Cardiff in their first game back in the top flight won’t be easy but City have more than enough quality to cause the promoted side problems.
- Luke SHAW [SUN(H), 4.6m] – Shaw caught the eye in Southampton’s match against West Brom with several surging runs, where one resulted in the winning penalty. We can expect more of the same when Sunderland come to visit and it’s unsurprising that his price has already gone up with many managers picking up the budget defender.
- Seamus COLEMAN [WBA(H), 5.1m] – Making it a trio of attacking full backs, we have Seamus Coleman, who went one better than the previous two by scoring a goal last weekend. It seems as though Martinez has given Coleman full licence to push on when possible and this will make his fantasy football managers happy, especially those who chose to transfer him in this week.
- David SILVA [CAR(A), 9.0m] – Another player close to a price rise is Silva, following his excellent performance against Newcastle. Chosen in last week’s Select XI, Silva didn’t disappoint, picking up 9 points. He looks back to his best and Cardiff’s defence are in for a true test in front of their home fans in Gameweek 2.
- Kevin MIRALLAS [WBA(H), 7.5m] – West Brom lacked a cutting edge last weekend and we’re fully expecting an Everton win in Gameweek 2. Mirallas was instrumental in pre-season and it will only be a matter of time before we see attacking returns from him.
- Hatem BEN ARFA [WHM(H), 7.0m] – As our next option, we’ve chosen another mid-range midfielder in the form of Ben Arfa. This is a slight risk given Newcastle’s performance at the Etihad but they will have put that behind them as they look to start the season again in front of their loyal fans at St James’ Park. Ben Arfa has the talent and on his day, he can cause any defence all sorts of problems.
- Kevin NOLAN [NEW(A), 7.0m] – Due for a price rise tonight, Nolan showed his keen eye for goal last weekend with a brilliant finish. Going back to Newcastle will be tricky for the former Magpie but players often have a knack for scoring against a former side. West Ham played some decent football against Cardiff and will give Newcastle a good contest this weekend.
- Christian BENTEKE [LIV(H), 9.1m] – The Belgian beast that is Benteke rewarded our faith with an outstanding score in Gameweek 1 to put to bed any doubts concerning Villa’s tough start to the season. It’s set to continue against Liverpool this Saturday evening but Villa will go into this match with their heads held high and we could be in for a great match that has goals at either end.
- Roberto SOLDADO [SWA(H), 9.0m] – Soldado has taken little time settling in at Spurs and thanks to his spot kick duties, his first Premier League goal proved to be the difference against Crystal Palace. He followed this up last night, bagging a brace in Spurs’ Europa League match and will look to continue his form this Sunday at White Hart Lane.
- Robin VAN PERSIE (C) [CHE(H), 14.0m] – Completing our side for the second gameweek in succession, we have the deadly Dutchman. He rewarded his fantasy managers last weekend with an excellent brace and Mourinho will be worried about the damage he can do. Despite whatever plans Mourinho may have, Van Persie has the quality to punish any side, which is why we’ve given him the captain’s armband.
[box type=”info”]If you have any opinions on the Fantasy Football Addict Select XI, please share them with us by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by leaving a comment in the box below. Alternatively, you can tweet us at @FFAddicted or leave a message on our Facebook page. Also, don’t forget to like us for your chance to win a detailed analysis of your fantasy premier league squad in our monthly giveaway, GET INVOLVED![/box]
Author Credit: Richard Lam
Image Credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryusha/