Well we were treated to quite the start to the season, with the Premier League offering a timely reminder that anything can happen in this wonderful game of football we love.
The champions came unstuck against a determined Swansea side despite Costa being fit enough to last the full length of the game. Elsewhere, some sloppy defending from the Gunners and some resolute defending from the Hammers helped West Ham to the shock 2-0 victory of the gameweek at the Emirates.
As with any shocks or upsets, an brand new gameweek offers every team the chance to bounce back and right any wrongs from the past match. Gameweek 2 comes a little early this week as we welcome the first Friday night FPL game!
Villa host United in Friday’s 7.45pm kick off, which means that the gameweek deadline comes at 6.45pm on Friday evening. Team lineups may have just been announced for those looking to make late switches, Twitter is your best bet.
With the early deadline in mind, here is our weekly FFA Select XI, where we’ve chosen 11 players in a valid formation who we think will score highly this gameweek…Goalkeeper
- Maarten STEKELENBURG [EVE(H), 5.0m] – With Forster out injured, Stekelenburg is currently filling the void. Despite conceding last week, the Saints will be looking to correct this when facing Everton in front of their home fans. In a tricky gameweek for clean sheets, Stekelenburg is a decent shout.
- Joe Gomez [BOU(H), 4.6m] – Signed from Charlton for a mere £3.5m, Gomez has been thrown straight into the Liverpool backline and performed well enough against Stoke picking up an assist along the way. Available at the very reasonable price of £4.6m, if Gomez can secure the left back role, he’ll be a bargain for the season. Bournemouth will test him but Liverpool should pick up the home win.
- Ben DAVIES [STO(H), 4.5m] – Another bargain defender playing for a top side comes in the form of Ben Davies. Spurs had strong spells against United and were unfortunate to come away with nothing. They’ll look to take the game to Stoke with Eriksen leading the charge, which may relieve some pressure on their backline.
- Aaron CRESSWELL [LEI(H), 5.5m] – West Ham defended admirably to keep Arsenal at bay after taking the lead and doubling it. It may be a more open game against Leicester, which means a second clean sheet for Cresswell is far from certain but he has his attacking potential to fall back on.
- Dusan TADIC [EVE(H), 7.0m] – Tadic was impressive against Newcastle, creating 6 chances for teammates whilst having 3 attempts on goal too. This led to an assist and a bonus point whilst managers backing Mane were left with nothing. Available at £1m cheaper than the lively Mane, if Tadic can build on this, he could be a decent option at £7m.
- David SILVA [CHE(H), 10.0m] – Silva was back to his influential best in the dominating 3-0 victory over West Brom. Mourinho will be looking to hatch a plan to keep him quiet but it’s often easier said than done, especially as Toure could easily step into any void left covering Silva. It’ll be an interesting battle and one where Silva could come out on top!
- Dimitri PAYET [LEI(H), 7.5m] – Payet had an exciting FPL debut, causing Arsenal all sorts of problems. His free kick set up Kouyate and was frequently a danger on the break. Leicester will have their hands full keeping the lively Payet quiet as he looks to build on the impressive performance that punished Arsenal for mistakes at the back.
- Philippe COUTINHO [BOU(H), 8.0m] – Coutinho is a class act and produced a moment of magic to secure the 3 points against Stoke. If Liverpool are to have a successful season, they need to keep Coutinho fit and firing on all cylinders. He’ll be the chief playmaker against Bournemouth and has the ability to open them up in front of the Anfield faithful.
- Troy DEENEY [WBA(H), 5.5m] – Watford picked up an impressive draw at Everton in their first game back in the Premier League with Deeney setting up one of their two goals. Next up they face the Baggies and with the home fans cheering them on, Watford will be looking to pick up their first victory of the season.
- Bafetimbi GOMIS (C) [NEW(H), 7.0m] – Swansea were very impressive against Chelsea, playing on the front foot and creating many chances. Despite not being the most clinical of strikers, Gomis had 5 attempts at goal in the penalty area and duly grabbed his goal, albeit from the penalty spot. He’s sure to get more chances against Newcastle as Swansea look to build on a strong start to the season.
- Wayne ROONEY [AVL(A), 10.5m] – Rooney was a little fortunate to say the least with his assist against Spurs as he dilly-dallied, allowing Walker to show him how to slot the ball into the back of the net. However, next up he faces one of his favourite sides – Villa. Having scored 13 goals against the Birmingham side, Rooney will be more than confident when stepping up to lead the line on Friday night.
If you have any opinions on the Fantasy Football Addict Select XI, please tweet us at @FFAddicted or leave a message on our Facebook page. Also, don’t forget to like us for your chance to win a detailed analysis of your fantasy premier league squad in our monthly giveaway, GET INVOLVED!
Image Credit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/nasmac/