The Christmas break is almost over but there’s one last round to battle before the wildcards are in play. There were some excellent matches in the last gameweek with most of the top sides continuing their charge at the top of the table.
We are at the mid-point of the season with 19 gameweeks down and 19 to go but Gameweek 20 is coming tomorrow, giving you a football feast to help you through your New Year hangover. There’s no better way to start 2014 than with a full round of fixtures taking place on a single day.
In the lunchtime kick off, City travel to Swansea where a win would take them to the top of the league, at least until Arsenal play Cardiff at 3pm. There are 14 other teams in action at the same time and it’ll be great to follow all the goals flying in.
Rounding off New Year’s Day, United host a Spurs side who seem to have found their attacking groove at 5.30pm. United have had a great Christmas break and are just 3 points away from the top 4 spots.
If you’re new to Fantasy Football Addict, this is our weekly segment where we choose 11 players in a valid formation to enter our Fantasy Football Addict Select XI for the upcoming gameweek. We look into the fixtures and form to see which players are most likely to score high.
So without further ado, here is our selection for the twentieth gameweek of the season:
- Simon MIGNOLET [HUL(H), 5.5m] – Liverpool have only conceded a single goal in each of their last 3 home games and Rodgers will be hoping they can do one better when Hull arrive in Gameweek 20. Hull will be boosted by their impressive win over Fulham but travelling to Anfield and tackling Suarez is a completely different ball game. If Liverpool can get the early goal, this could be a comfortable victory for them.
- Danny GABBIDON [NOR(H), 4.3m] – Palace were unfortunate to be on the losing end against City, giving it a good go at the Etihad. Pulis has added a grit and determination to Palace’s play and he’ll want his side to secure the 3 points against Norwich. If they keep it tight at the back, Palace can add to the 5 clean sheets they’ve picked up in their last 9 matches.
- Seamus COLEMAN [STO(A), 6.6m] – Coleman has been immense recently, scoring 3 goals in his last 4 games. This has helped him to extend his lead at the top of the defenders list and at the moment he’s looking vital for the rest of the season. With Martinez unlikely to curtail his attacking ambitions, Coleman could be set for more goals and assists before the season is over.
- Per MERTESACKER [CAR(H), 6.3m] – Another defender who is looking like a season keeper is the German rock, Mertesacker. He played an important role in keeping Newcastle out in Gameweek 19 and replicated the maximum 3 bonus points he picked up 2 gameweeks previously against Chelsea. Despite the injuries affecting Arsenal, they should continue to keep it tight at the back against Cardiff.
- Eden HAZARD [SOT(A), 10.2m] – Hazard made it his second 10-point haul in a row, scoring and picking up 3 bonus points in the important victory over Liverpool. It’ll be a tricky match against the Saints but with them still missing several important players at the back, Hazard has the potential to cause them a number of problems.
- Jesus NAVAS [SWA(A), 8.2m] – Navas has been in excellent form providing attacking returns in each of the last 4 gameweeks. This includes two consecutive starts and two assists. With creative players like Silva and Aguero out, Pellegrini will need Navas to help defeat Swansea. If City go for a counter attacking strategy, Navas’ pace will be a useful asset.
- Raheem STERLING [HUL(H), 5.2m] – Sterling has taken his opportunity in the Liverpool starting eleven, scoring three times and setting up a further two goals in his last 6 games. He was also very unlucky to have been called offside when through on goal against Chelsea. Rodgers will have an interesting decision to make once Sturridge is back but for now, Sterling’s spot in the attacking lineup is secure.
- Lukas PODOLSKI [CAR(H), 8.1m] – Arsenal have a number of injuries to contend with, giving Podolski a shot to stake his claim for a regular starting role. With doubts surrounding Walcott’s inclusion, we’ve gone for the German who only had 36 minutes in Gameweek 18 but was able to pick up a goal and an assist. With Giroud injured, Podolski could even be given a run up top to secure some attacking returns.
- Luis SUAREZ (C) [HUL(H), 9.7m] – Suarez has been a little subdued of late with two tricky away matches but it’s back to home comforts with a match against Hull. This won’t be as easy as people might make it out to be but Suarez has the potential to explode against any side. With this in mind, we’ve given the fantasy marvel the captain’s armband.
- Romelu LUKAKU [STO(A), 8.8m] – Lukaku finally ended his 5 game run without a goal by netting against Southampton. He was given a further 3 bonus points for his overall performance and we’re backing him once more for the trip to Stoke. Everton are in fine form and will travel to this match, looking to secure another victory with the Belgian beast leading the line.
- Danny WELBECK [TOT(H), 11.6m] – With doubts over Rooney’s participation, we’re going for Welbeck, who has stepped up in the absence of United’s star attacking duo. With 4 goals in his last 4 matches, Welbeck has found some consistency in front of goal just at the right moment and he’ll have to keep it up if he wants to hold onto his spot up front. With Spurs playing an open attacking game, Welbeck should get an opportunity to find the back of the net once more.
[box type=”info”]If you have any opinions on the Fantasy Football Addict Select XI, please share them with us by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by leaving a comment in the box below. Alternatively, you can tweet us at @FFAddicted or leave a message on our Facebook page. Also, don’t forget to like us for your chance to win a detailed analysis of your fantasy premier league squad in our monthly giveaway, GET INVOLVED![/box]
Author Credit: Richard Lam
Image Credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/75354150@N06/