We’re halfway through January and with injuries appearing, wildcards must be called upon for a number of managers. To give you a helping hand, Gameweek 22’s Select XI is here. The previous 7 days have seen a number of big players return including Aguero and Sturridge, who are sure to mix things up.
Sunderland will look to build on their impressive away victory at Fulham by taking on the Saints in the early Saturday kick off. To the relief of Southampton fans, Pochettino has come out stating that he is going nowhere despite Cortese’s departure.
At 3pm, we have a couple of home bankers in the form of Arsenal facing Fulham and City facing Cardiff. It comes as no surprise that a number of their players feature in our Select XI and it’d take a very brave man to back the away sides in these fixtures.
Another favourable home fixture ends Saturday’s action with Liverpool entertaining Villa at Anfield. With Sturridge back, we can’t see beyond another home victory for the Merseyside team as they push on for Champions League qualification.
On Sunday, there are some great matches with Spurs visiting Swansea before Chelsea and United lock horns at 4pm. With Rooney and RVP still missing, we’re expecting Chelsea to edge a tight contest where home advantage comes into play in addition to Chelsea’s defensive resolve.
If you’re new to Fantasy Football Addict, this is our weekly segment where we choose 11 players in a valid formation to enter our Fantasy Football Addict Select XI for the upcoming gameweek. We look into the fixtures and form to see which players are most likely to score high.
So without further ado, here is our selection for the 22nd gameweek of the season:
- Julian SPERONI [STO(H), 4.5m] – This weekend, Pulis faces his former side Stoke and he’ll be looking to get the better of them in front of the Palace home fans. He’ll plan to keep it tight, giving Speroni a strong chance of a clean sheet. Palace were excellent in the first half against Spurs and if they play like that, they could take the early lead, giving them something to defend.
- Aleksandar KOLAROV [CAR(H), 5.4m] – Kolarov currently appears to be the first choice left back for City and in his last 3 games he has picked up 2 assists and a goal. This includes his half time cameo in midweek against Blackburn where he came on and instantly set up a goal for Negredo. Coming on as a sub in the cup, he should be given the starting role at the weekend and he clearly has the potential to score points at both ends of the field.
- Seamus COLEMAN [WBA(A), 6.8m] – One of the most attacking defenders in the Premier League, we’re backing Coleman to offer lung bursting runs once more when Everton travel to West Brom. He had plenty of shots inside the box last weekend, highlighting his goal threat and the Baggies will have to watch him closely. Conceding no more than a single goal in each of their last 7 games shows Everton’s quality in defence.
- Per MERTESACKER [FUL(H), 6.5m] – Arsenal face a Fulham side next fresh from a demoralising 4-1 loss at home to Sunderland. Next up they have the unenviable task of taking on Arsenal at the Etihad. We can’t see beyond a comprehensive Arsenal victory and one where Mertesacker could pick up another clean sheet to add to his tally for the season.
- Eden HAZARD [MUN(H), 10.5m] – Hazard continued to show how important he is to the Chelsea cause scoring the first goal against Hull last weekend. He is having an excellent season, with 9 goals and 8 assists taking him to 133 points so far. On Sunday afternoon, Mourinho will once more look to him to create something clinical to secure an important 3 points against United.
- Jack WILSHERE [FUL(H), 6.2m] – Wilshere stepped up in the game against Villa with a top finish coming before a brilliant chipped through ball to set Giroud on his way. Two match-winning moments from Wilshere were too much for Villa and a late fightback couldn’t rescue a point. Wilshere faces Fulham next at the Emirates and we’re backing him to make lives very difficult for them.
- Adam JOHNSON [SOT(H), 6.4m] – Sunderland picked up a massive 3 points away at Fulham last weekend and it was thanks to the performance from Johnson. He racked up an amazing 22 points from scoring a hat trick and creating another. In Gameweek 22, Southampton will have to find a way to nullify Johnson who will be full of confidence.
- Jesus NAVAS [CAR(H), 8.3m] – With Nasri out of the picture, Navas is set for more gametime and alongside strikers like Negredo, Dzeko and Aguero, he has the players to finish anything he creates. This was evident against Blackburn as he set up 2 goals with clinical play down the right. With City looking unplayable at home, Cardiff have more than a tall ask to come away from the Etihad with anything more than what they came with.
- Luis SUAREZ (C) [AVL(H), 13.4m] – 21 goals + 12 assists + 28 bonus points = 177 points! (15 games)
- Sergio AGUERO [CAR(H), 12.0m] – Aguero marked his return from injury by scoring with his first touches against Blackburn and he is set to play some part against Cardiff. With 13 goals and 8 assists this season, he’s a striker that can produce at any time. Rising in price tonight, managers have been finding ways to bring Aguero in before the weekend and he takes our second spot up front.
- Olivier GIROUD [FUL(H), 8.6m] – Scoring in both of the last 2 games, Giroud looks to be back in business and he’ll want to make it a hat trick against Fulham. With such attacking quality we can’t see anything less than an Arsenal victory as Giroud continues to show why they don’t need another striker.
[box type=”info”]If you have any opinions on the Fantasy Football Addict Select XI, please share them with us by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by leaving a comment in the box below. Alternatively, you can tweet us at @FFAddicted or leave a message on our Facebook page. Also, don’t forget to like us for your chance to win a detailed analysis of your fantasy premier league squad in our monthly giveaway, GET INVOLVED![/box]
Author Credit: Richard Lam
Image Credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wonker/