What a difference a week can make, you United fans must feel a great deal more chipper following the capture of Juan Mata. 7 days ago, things were looking grim, defeat to Chelsea left you 6 points off the Champions League spots and a whopping 14 points behind league leaders, Arsenal.
Though a strange twist of fate has led Mata to leave Chelsea and join United, and with RVP and Rooney back in training, things are definitely looking up. From depending on 18-year old Januzaj as their creative spark, United could have a deadly trio in attack, able to take apart any defence.
This is sure to be a midweek round to remember with many eyes on the little Spaniard’s debut against Cardiff tomorrow evening. This match also signals the return of the baby-faced assassin, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, as he takes his seat in the opposition dugout. It will be an emotional return but one he will desperately want to win.
There are 6 games in total on the Tuesday night with the remaining 4 taking place on Wednesday evening. I hope you’re ready for some midweek football because there’s plenty of action to take in!
If you’re new to Fantasy Football Addict, this is our weekly segment where we choose 11 players in a valid formation to enter our Fantasy Football Addict Select XI for the upcoming gameweek. We look into the fixtures and form to see which players are most likely to score high.
So without further ado, here is our selection for the 23rd gameweek of the season:
- Petr CECH [WHM(H), 6.1m] – Chelsea may not have set the Premier League on fire with their attacking displays but they are right in the mix at the top following a switch to defensive solidity. 4 clean sheets in their last 6 shows how strong they’ve been and with West Ham visiting next, we’re backing Cech to come good once more.
- Joel WARD [HUL(H), 4.2m] – First up in defence we have an out-of-position budget option in the form of Joel Ward. Currently, occupying a position in midfield, Ward has been unlucky not to register any attacking returns of late but this could change against Hull. Pulis will be targeting all 3 points, giving Ward the chance to notch points at both ends of the field.
- Gary CAHILL [WHM(H), 5.7m] – Set for a price rise tonight, it seems as though plenty of managers are signing up Gary Cahill ahead of tomorrow’s deadline. A brace of assists last weekend signalled his attacking potential and matching this alongside Chelsea’s defensive resolve, you have quite an effective defender on your hands.
- Patrice EVRA [CAR(H), 6.4m] – With 4 clean sheets in his last 7 games, Evra has been steadily notching up the points. The mood in the United camp is sure to have been lifted by Mata’s arrival and we’re expecting a strong and determined United performance that will lay the groundwork for another potential clean sheet.
- Eden HAZARD [WHM(H), 10.6m] – Despite giving the ball away on a handful of occasions against Stoke, Hazard, time and time again set up fellow team mates with excellent chances. He’s clearly enjoying his football and looks full of confidence. If West Ham plan to take anything away from this game, they’ll have to do what so many teams have failed to do this season and that is to contain Hazard.
- Juan MATA [CAR(H), 9.4m] – Why Mourinho was unable to field Mata will remain a mystery but United have a real talent on their books now and we’re backing him to carve Cardiff open tomorrow night. He will have felt the weight lifted from his shoulders and he can now show what Mourinho was missing by leaving him out of the team. With history firmly on his side (212 pts last season), managers are flocking to bring him in, with his price rising tonight.
- Adam JOHNSON [STO(H), 6.6m] – In the last gameweek, Johnson continued his fine form by picking up another double-figure haul after scoring and creating another against Southampton. He’ll be full of confidence following two outstanding games for Sunderland and next up he has another game in front of the home fans against struggling Stoke.
- Santi CAZORLA [SOT(A), 9.5m] – Wenger has recently come out and said that Cazorla is finally over his injury issues and is set to play an important role in the second half of the season. This was outlined by a tidy brace against Fulham just over a week ago before scoring another against Coventry in the cup. These goals will have done him the world of good and a Saints defence missing Lovren, will have to keep a close eye on the talented Spaniard.
- Luis SUAREZ (C) [EVE(H), 13.4m] – Suarez may have only picked up an assist in Gameweek 22 but his potential to explode sees him keep his spot in our Select XI. Everton travel to Anfield for the second Merseyside derby of the season and it is sure to be a thrilling atmosphere. Suarez might just feed off this energy from the crowd to give them plenty to shout about and with Sturridge in support, he has an able partner.
- Sergio AGUERO [TOT(A), 12.3m] – Aguero proved to be the difference for City as they fought back from 2-0 down against Watford to win 4-2 thanks to a hat trick from the Argentinian. After the match, Pellegrini mentioned how he had planned to take Aguero off earlier but was unable to with the game in the balance. This means that he may see limited gametime against Spurs but as it will be a tricky game, we’re confident that he’ll start.
- Wilfried BONY [FULH), 7.3m] – Last up, we have a budget striker who is bang in form. Laudrup explained Bony’s struggle to adapt to life in Wales as the main reason for his inconsistent performances. However, he is now fully settled in his home life and this is evident with his goalscoring form. At 7.3m, he is a bargain and with an ownership percentage of just 4.1%, he can prove to be a real differential for managers playing catch-up.
[box type=”info”]If you have any opinions on the Fantasy Football Addict Select XI, please share them with us by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by leaving a comment in the box below. Alternatively, you can tweet us at @FFAddicted or leave a message on our Facebook page. Also, don’t forget to like us for your chance to win a detailed analysis of your fantasy premier league squad in our monthly giveaway, GET INVOLVED![/box]
Author Credit: Richard Lam
Image Credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/82799088@N03/