This weekend shall forever be called the Weekend of Derbies! Spurs kick things off on Saturday lunchtime when they welcome Arsenal to White Hart Lane in what should be a tasty treat to get Gameweek 24 underway. Both sides are in form with attackers shining brightly, so goals should be on the cards in an end-to-end contest. Which players would you choose for a combined North London XI?
To finish the day, Everton host Liverpool in the Merseyside derby in a game that can go either way. At Anfield, you’d back Liverpool given the flourishing form of Sterling and Coutinho but with Everton’s fans behind them, they are more than capable of testing Liverpool’s backline. Both sets of players will be fired up for the game and Rodgers will be glad that Liverpool managed to avoid extra time with their last minute turnaround against Bolton in the cup.
In between these two tasty English derbies we have the small matter of the Madrid derby, which takes place at 3pm. It holds no bearing on our fantasy fortunes but for any football fan looking to complete a day of local rivalry action, it squeezes in perfectly. If you were wondering what a combined Madrid team would look like, wonder no more thanks to Sid Lowe.
Anyway, let’s get back to this weekend, so without further ado, here is our selection for the 24th gameweek of the season:
- Fraser FORSTER [QPR(A), 5.5m] – With Wanyama and Schneiderlin back in training, they should be set for returns to the Southampton lineup. This is a welcome return for Forster who may pick up a clean sheet away at struggling QPR thanks to the midfield enforcing duo.
- Branislav IVANOVIC [AVL(A), 7.2m] – With Ivanovic’s freedom to provide support down the right, it comes as no surprise that his attacking stats are far greater than any other Chelsea defender. With 3 assists in his last 4 games, Ivanovic is justifying his high pricetag and could be set for further returns against Villa.
- Vincent KOMPANY [HUL(H), 6.4m] – City’s backline is a minefield as everyone barring Kompany is subject to rotation. This is a shame as he’s failed to return any attacking points all season but with a home game against Hull on the cards, City defensive coverage is a must.
- Kieran TRIPPIER [WBA(H), 4.8m] – Burnley may not be guaranteed a clean sheet against West Brom but it’s a possibility given the importance of the match. Throwing in the fact that Trippier put in 10 crosses last weekend and he appears to be a decent prospect going into Gameweek 24.
- Eden HAZARD [AVL(A), 10.7m] – Hazard continues to pick up the points with a fine assist in the hard fought draw against City. With his stats backing him up, Hazard received the maximum bonus points haul to take him to a respectable 8pts for the gameweek. Away at Villa, he’ll once again be looked to lead the charge with Costa out.
- Santi CAZORLA [TOT(A), 8.4m] – With Sanchez out, Cazorla stepped up to the plate and didn’t disappoint after being given the Select XI armband. With 2 goals and 3 assists in his last 2 gameweeks, Cazorla is in fantastic form and will look to provide the creativity to upset Spurs.
- David SILVA [HUL(H), 9.4m] – Following his return from injury, Silva’s points continue to tick over after reacting quickly to turn in Aguero’s shot against Chelsea. For those looking to double up on City’s attacking coverage ahead of a fine run of fixtures, Silva is without doubt your midfield maestro.
- Jonjo SHELVEY [SUN(H), 5.2m] – With Sigurdsson banned from domestic duty, Shelvey stepped into the void to secure an upset at the St Mary’s. With 3 attempts on goal and 2 chances created last week, Shelvey could be set for further returns when Swansea host Sunderland in Gameweek 24.
- Harry KANE [ARS(H), 6.1m] – Kane is proving to be a revelation this season and is helping us all to divert funds to other areas. He continued to make a mockery of his pricetag with a brace against West Brom and is sure to enjoy the North London derby where you wouldn’t back against him.
- Romelu LUKAKU [LIV(H), 8.8m] – Lukaku has had an indifferent season up until now but Martinez claims that he’s back to his best following his match-winning goal last week (where he had 3 shots and set up 3 chances). So if there’s ever an opportunity to prove your manager right it’s in the Merseyside derby in front of the Everton faithful.
- Sergio AGUERO (C) [HUL(H), 12.7m] – Whilst Aguero has yet to find his finishing touch, it’s only a matter of time before he does. A home game against Hull provides the ideal opportunity for the deadly Argentinian to mark his return and quell any noises from those that doubt his quality.
[box type=”info”]If you have any opinions on the Fantasy Football Addict Select XI, please tweet us at @FFAddicted or leave a message on our Facebook page. Also, don’t forget to like us for your chance to win a detailed analysis of your fantasy premier league squad in our monthly giveaway, GET INVOLVED![/box]
Author Credit: Richard Lam
Image Credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronmacphotos/