One final gameweek, one last taste of fantasy football action before we call it a day. For some it’s already over like those at the bottom of the Premier League table but for others, there’s one final push to see who will end victorious!
As always, the last gameweek of the season sees all teams in action at the same time, giving us one gigantic dose of fantasy football before leaving us for months. All games kick off at 3pm on Sunday so the deadline is pushed back a day but remains at 11.30am.
With Norwich, Fulham and Cardiff doomed for the Championship, all that’s left to play for is who will be crowned champions. This leaves us in a strange position to contemplate for the final gameweek. We could be treated to some free-flowing football but on the other hand, players will be wary of picking up injuries ahead of the FA Cup final and the World Cup in Brazil.
We believe the safest bet is to load up on City and Liverpool stars, whilst filling the rest of your team with players looking to finalise a spot in a World Cup squad or players encouraged to impress in front of home crowds on the final day of the season.
If you’re new to Fantasy Football Addict, this is our weekly segment where we choose 11 players in a valid formation to enter our Fantasy Football Addict Select XI for the upcoming gameweek. We look into the fixtures and form to see which players are most likely to score high.
So without further ado, here is our selection for the 38th gameweek of the season:
- Vito MANNONE [SWA(H), 4.6m] – Mannone did us proud last week with 2 clean sheets as Sunderland secured their Premier League status for another season. Arguably their player of the season, Mannone has performed wonders in Sunderland’s goal and in what will be a party atmosphere at the Stadium of Light, he might actually bring a halt to Bony’s fine run in front of goal.
- Branislav IVANOVIC [CAR(A), 6.7m] – Chelsea will be gutted to not at least be in with a shout for the title on the final day, following the draw at home to Norwich. With clean sheets hard to predict this weekend, we’re backing Ivanovic to possibly pick one up for us. Cardiff will put them to the test though as they look to give their home fans one last result to be proud of before they delve into the Championship.
- Luke SHAW [MUN(H), 5.1m] – Southampton have recently revived their early season defensive form, keeping 3 clean sheets in the last 3 gameweeks. During this period, Shaw has picked up a further 3 bonus points and he’ll be desperate to impress before Brazil, with Cole recently featuring for Chelsea. United may have found it easy at home to Hull but taking on the Saints and St. Mary’s is a whole other ball game.
- Pablo ZABALETA [WHM(H), 6.5m] – Zabaleta along with Silva’s help were the crucial difference in breaking down a stubborn Villa resistance on Wednesday night. His bursts down the right opened up the play and led to the first two goals. Pellegrini will once again call on the reliable Argentinian to provide one more matchwinning performance as City push on for the result that will secure the title.
- Steven GERRARD [NEW(H), 9.6m] – Gerrard has had an outstanding season for Liverpool with 13 goals and 13 assists accrued so far. Come Sunday, he’ll rally the troops for one final push, convincing his side to focus purely on securing the victory. Even if City take the lead against West Ham, you’ll be guaranteed that the Anfield faithful will continue to sing and encourage their team forward regardless of whether the title is to be theirs or not.
- Raheem STERLING [NEW(H), 6.2m] – With this in mind, we’re doubling up on Liverpool’s midfield talent with Sterling taking our second spot. He’s really matured this season and is incredibly comfortable on the ball for a player who is only 19 years of age. Sterling has a bright future ahead of him and we’re looking forward to seeing him in an England shirt this summer.
- Yaya TOURE [WHM(H), 10.5m] – Toure duly provided the icing on the cake with a late assist coupled with a signature barnstorming run and a calm finish against Villa on Wednesday. For the majority of the game, he sat deep in a reserved role but with Silva departing and Fernandinho on to sure up the midfield, the big man pushed forward for the final stages to devastating effect. Toure’s ability is incredible and opposing teams can’t switch off for a second when the big man is on the pitch.
- Marko ARNAUTOVIC [WBA(A), 5.1m] – Arnautovic has finished the season with a flourish, providing attacking returns in 5 of the last 8 gameweeks. Hughes has done an admirable job at Stoke and has completely changed their footballing philosophy, which the Stoke fans must be enjoying. He’ll look to continue this project next season and Arnautovic is sure to be a big part of it all.
- Fabio BORINI [SWA(H), 6.3m] – With Wickham seeming to lack the stamina to compete for the full 90 minutes, we’re going for Sunderland’s on loan star for the final gameweek. Recently stating that he wants his shot at Liverpool, Borini will be looking to give Rodgers one more thing to think about this summer. Borini is another player finishing the season in fine form with 3 goals and an assist in the last 4 games, and he is sure to be a threat throughout to Swansea’s backline.
- Edin DZEKO [WHM(H), 7.5m] – Despite Aguero being passed fit, we’re going for his fellow strike partner Edin Dzeko. He hasn’t been spectacular but in recent weeks, he’s always appeared to be in the right place at the right time. By doing the simple things well, he’s picked up 5 goals in the last 3 gameweeks to fire City to the top of the table. Dzeko will be full of confidence and hoping to get the all-important goals that win them the title this season.
- Luis SUAREZ (C) [NEW(H), 13.1m] – Suarez was devastated following the Palace revival on Monday night but his fellow team-mates will have picked him back up. They still have an outside chance for the title and the crowd are sure to push him forward. In what has been an incredible record-breaking season for the Uruguayan, Suarez will give his all in the hope that he’ll become a Premier League champion come the final whistle.
[box type=”info”]If you have any opinions on the Fantasy Football Addict Select XI, please share them with us by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by leaving a comment in the box below. Alternatively, you can tweet us at @FFAddicted or leave a message on our Facebook page. Also, don’t forget to like us for your chance to win a detailed analysis of your fantasy premier league squad in our monthly giveaway, GET INVOLVED![/box]
Author Credit: Richard Lam
Image Credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/75354150@N06/