It’s been an underwhelming Champions League week for our Fantasy Premier League sides but they’ll be looking to get back to business as we enter Gameweek 5 of the season. Both Arsenal and City suffered defeats to the two German giants, whilst Liverpool and Chelsea failed to shine in front of their home fans.
Let’s put all that behind us and look ahead to this weekend’s action. Surprisingly, Saturday’s early televised kick off is between QPR and Stoke; hardly a cracker to get us started but get us started it will. At 3pm, Aston Villa host Arsenal whilst Swansea take on the Saints in what should be two interesting encounters.
Ending the day’s play at 5.30pm, West Ham welcome Liverpool to Upton Park, where the travellers will have to continue without Sturridge who is due to return to training next week. We’re in for a busy Sunday with 8 teams in action in total. At 1.30pm, United travel to Leicester, however, the gameweek ends in a bang as Man City host Chelsea at 4pm!
If you’re new to Fantasy Football Addict, this is our weekly segment where we choose 11 players in a valid formation to enter our Fantasy Football Addict Select XI for the upcoming gameweek. We look into the fixtures and form to see which players are most likely to score high.
So without further ado, here is our selection for the 5th gameweek of the season:
- David DE GEA [LEI(A), 5.5m] – De Gea picked up another clean sheet last weekend as United finally got their season underway. They looked like a completely different side with their new additions in place and although they may not have it all their way against Leicester, there’s every chance they could return to Manchester with another 3 points.
- Eric DIER [WBA(H), 5.5m] – WBA have had a tough start to the season and are struggling to bed in their new players. Spurs should be too strong for them this weekend and we’d be surprised if this ends in anything other than a win for the London side. Dier’s already notched twice this season to highlight his attacking threat and has the chance to pick up a clean sheet in the process when he takes on the Baggies.
- Michael DUFF [SUN(H), 4.1m] – Duff is turning in some excellent performances at the back for Burnley, showing that out of all of the promoted sides, Burnley are the best bet. With back to back clean sheets, Duff has picked up 2 bonus points on each occasion and at 4.1m, he is still very much a bargain defender who could fit right into your squad.
- Leighton BAINES [CPL(H), 6.9m] – An old fantasy favourite, Baines is starting to attract our attention once more with back to back assists in recent games. He comes with a hefty pricetag but as he’s shown, his delivery can be deadly and having a defender who can also attack is key to the fantasy game. We’ll learn more against Palace but in this form, he’s worth backing.
- Angel DI MARIA (C) [LEI(A), 9.5m] – Di Maria rewarded our faith with a goal and an assist against QPR, so we’ve decided to back him once more as United roll up to Leicester, fresh from having no European responsibilities this season. The mood in the United camp will have lifted following their resounding victory last Sunday and Di Maria will once again look to lead the charge when they take on Leicester.
- Christian ERIKSEN [WBA(H), 7.9m] – Eriksen was outstanding last weekend as Spurs drew with Sunderland, getting on the scoresheet and picking up the maximum 3 bonus points. He clearly has the talent and if Pochettino can get the best out of him, Spurs might be able to push for Champions League but nothing less than a victory will do against West Brom.
- David SILVA [CHE(H), 9.0m] – After scoring in Gameweek 1, Silva has struggled to return the points to justify his high pricetag. But whilst he’s City’s most creative attacker, fantasy points are inevitable over the course of the season. The atmosphere will be jumping at the Etihad and City will be looking to put their last minute Bayern loss behind them with a win over title favourites Chelsea.
- Raheem STERLING [WHM(A), 8.8m] – Rodgers paid the price for deciding to rest Sterling against Villa last week so we’re not expecting the same to happen again for a while. Liverpool are struggling a little without their striker Sturridge but Balotelli will take confidence from his Champions League strike. Sterling has bags of ability and is sure to cause West Ham’s defence a bunch of problems.
- Diego COSTA [MCI(A), 10.8m] – Costa is by far the striker of the season so far and can’t seem to stop scoring at the moment. Despite injury scare after injury scare, he always starts and scores. After being rested against Schalke, Mourinho has stated that his main man is likely to start against City and that’s only bad news for their defenders. It won’t be his easiest opposition but Costa won’t be phased at all, having already scored 7 times this season.
- Romelu LUKAKU [CPL(H), 9.0m] – Lukaku is slowly growing in confidence as we saw last week with a fine right-footed curler against his former employers. With Everton facing Palace this weekend, we’re backing the big man to cause them plenty of problems. He’s more than a handful and should be on your radar as Everton approach a fine run of fixtures.
- Wayne ROONEY [LEI(A), 10.4m] – Another United player to reward our faith with a goal and assist last weekend was Rooney. Managers losing patience with him would have found it painful to see Rooney finally get himself back on the scoresheet. Whether he can continue this form remains to be seen but he will have taken great confidence from his performance and will be looking for more goals against Leicester.
[box type=”info”]If you have any opinions on the Fantasy Football Addict Select XI, please tweet us at @FFAddicted or leave a message on our Facebook page. Also, don’t forget to like us for your chance to win a detailed analysis of your fantasy premier league squad in our monthly giveaway, GET INVOLVED![/box]
Author Credit: Richard Lam
Image Credit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/calciostreaming/