Following last weekend’s action, we’re in for another great weekend, starting with the cracker that is Spurs vs Chelsea. This match takes place on Saturday at lunchtime and is sure to be a tight contest. AVB still has bad blood with Chelsea following his short stint and will be keen for his Spurs side to punish a Chelsea team struggling to find form.
At 3pm, we have both Manchester sides taking on West Midland opposition, with City travelling to Villa Park and United hosting West Brom. Both will be confident of victories and it will come as no surprise that our Select XI has plenty of their players. Finishing off a fine day of football, Swansea take on Arsenal in what could be a high scoring affair.
The highlight of Sunday’s games is Sunderland Liverpool at 4pm before Everton bring a close to proceedings on Monday night by entertaining Newcastle at Goodison. If you’re new to Fantasy Football Addict, this is our weekly segment where we choose 11 players in a valid formation to enter our Fantasy Football Addict Select XI for the upcoming gameweek. We look into the fixtures and form to see which players are most likely to score high.
So without further ado, here is our selection for the sixth gameweek of the season:
- Simon MIGNOLET [SUN(A), 5.8m] – Liverpool have been in fine defensive form this season and despite conceding a single goal against the Saints last weekend, Mignolet picked up an additional 2 points for making 7 saves. With Suarez back, it will surely release some pressure on the Liverpool backline and Rodgers will be looking for a second away victory when they travel to manager-less Sunderland.
- Patrice EVRA [WBA(H), 6.5m] – Man City may have punished United last weekend but their midweek match against Liverpool showed how resilient they can be at home. Despite fielding a second string back four, United kept Suarez and co at bay. Evra and the usuals should return for the game against the Baggies and we’re confident that United have a strong chance of keeping another home clean sheet.
- Vincent KOMPANY [AVL(A), 6.3m] – Since returning from injury, City have looked far more secure with Kompany in the backline. With Benteke out through injury, City have an ideal opportunity to build on their confidence-boosting win over United. Villa will struggle to create without their main striker and with City having no similar problems of their own, we’re backing a City win and clean sheet.
- Nemanja VIDIC [WBA(H), 6.0m] – Once again, we’ve chosen to double up on United defenders. It can be a risky strategy but given their defensive form at home, it can also pay off as shown in Gameweek 4. Like Kompany, Vidic is a rock at the back for his club and with the bonus points system favouring centre backs, if he can pick up a clean sheet, Vidic may just get a few extra thrown in for good measure.
- Dejan LOVREN [CPL(H), 4.9m] – Another benefactor of the bonus points system is Saints defender Lovren, who has already picked up 7 in the first 5 gameweeks of the season. Southampton have been excellent at the back and this was highlighted in their fine away victory at Anfield. Pochettino will be hoping they can build on that result with another 3 points when they host Crystal Palace this weekend.
- Leighton BAINES [NEW(H), 7.6m] – Following his fine free-kicks last weekend, we’ve decided to go with the maximum 5 defenders at the back. Although, we all know Baines is a little more than a defender with his set piece talents on offer. Everton are not guaranteed to keep a clean sheet against Newcastle but having Baines’ attacking talent is enough to fall back on, so he completes our backline for Gameweek 6.
- Miguel MICHU [ARS(H), 9.0m] – Michu has been in great form recently with 2 goals and an assist in his last 3 league games. With Swansea on the edge of embarking on a great run of fixtures, we’d encourage you to bring the Spanish star into your fantasy midfield. Arsenal have struggled to keep it tight at the back this season and we’re expecting an open game of football with some wonderful passing on display.
- Mesut OZIL [SWA(A), 10.4m] – With the previous comment in mind, we’ve chosen the assist machine that is Ozil to complete our 2-man midfield this weekend. Ozil has taken no time at all to showcase his talent in the Premier League, notching 4 assists for Arsenal. This has led to swarms of fantasy managers bringing him in and Ozil will have to carry the burden a little further this weekend with the news of Walcott being sidelined until next month.
- Luis SUAREZ [SUN(A), 10.9m] – Suarez finally returned in midweek from his ban and he looked eager to make up for lost time. As expected he wasn’t quite at his best but given the circumstances, he showed glimpses of potential at Old Trafford. A trip to Sunderland should be a little more inviting and if he manages to produce, expect a bandwagon to form very quickly.
- Wayne ROONEY (C) [WBA(H), 10.7m] – With RVP an outside chance of starting, we’ve gone for the safe option in Rooney. Since returning to the starting lineup, Rooney has put the summer firmly behind him, with a string of fine performances. He looks hungry once again and is playing some excellent football. Benefitting from Moyes’ intense training sessions, Rooney also looks fitter and in such confident form, we’ve given him the armband for Gameweek 6.
- Sergio AGUERO [AVL(A), 11.0m] – Finishing off our Select XI, we’ve chosen the deadly Argentinian, Sergio Aguero. Following a relatively subdued start to the season by his high standards, Aguero helped to crush United last weekend with a fine brace. Having been rested in City’s midweek win over Wigan, we can expect Aguero to be restored to the starting lineup against a Villa side who managed to keep their first clean sheet last weekend in 26 matches. Barring more heroics from Guzan, we can expect some City goals this weekend.
[box type=”info”]If you have any opinions on the Fantasy Football Addict Select XI, please share them with us by sending an email to email@example.com or by leaving a comment in the box below. Alternatively, you can tweet us at @FFAddicted or leave a message on our Facebook page. Also, don’t forget to like us for your chance to win a detailed analysis of your fantasy premier league squad in our monthly giveaway, GET INVOLVED![/box]
Author Credit: Richard Lam
Image Credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nasmac/