With the return of European football this week, we’ve been able to analyse some of the top teams and their players a little more as we bed into the start of this season.
Both the Manchester clubs and Arsenal were defeated by the same scoreline of 2-1, whilst Chelsea were the only club to emerge from the Champions League action with any pride. Managers with Chelsea ownership will be hoping they can build from their 4-0 victory to get their season back on track but they’ve got a tough home encounter against Arsenal in Saturday’s early kick-off.
Anyway, that’s enough talk of the European midweek action!
So without further ado, here is our weekly FFA Select XI, where we’ve chosen 11 players in a valid formation who we think will score highly this gameweek…
- Simon MIGNOLET [NOR(H), 5.1m] – Liverpool started the season in fine defensive form by not conceding a single goal in the first 3 gameweeks. However, since then they have conceded 6 in 2 and Rodgers will be keen to get back on track when they entertain Norwich at Anfield this weekend.
- Aleksandar KOLAROV [WHM(H), 5.9m] – Kolarov is currently the second highest points scorer and has averaged more than 9 points per gameweek. With attacking and defensive prospects against West Ham, Kolarov is the first name in our defensive lineup.
- Daryl JANMAAT [WAT(H), 4.9m] – Newcastle have been far from defensively sound this season but they welcome goal-shy Watford to St James’ Park this weekend. Janmaat is also an attacking threat as he displayed with 5 shots in Gameweek 5.
- Simon FRANCIS [SUN(H), 5.5m] – Francis is another defender with excellent attacking potential with 2 assists in his last 3 games. He’s also produced 9 key passes so far and will be a useful attacking outlet as Bournemouth look to secure victory against Sunderland in Gameweek 6.
- Philippe COUTINHO [SUN(H), 8.1m] – Coutinho returns from suspension to add some much needed creativity to Liverpool’s attack as they look to shake off the disappointing loss to United. He hit the post in the game against Bordeaux and is the player most likely to punish Sunderland.
- David SILVA (C) [WHM(H), 10.2m] – Another midfield maestro to make his return to action in midweek was Silva. He was unable to prevent City from tasting defeat against Juve but will be key to helping them bounce back in the home game against West Ham. With 4 assists to his name already, Silva will be looking to create further chances for team mates.
- Andre AYEW [EVE(H), 7.3m] – Ayew has taken no time settling in to life in the Premier League with 3 goals and an assist in the first 5 gameweeks. Frequently found marauding in the opposition’s box, more attacking points are sure to come, although it’ll be a tricky match-up against Everton.
- Theo WALCOTT [CHE(A), 8.5m] – With 2 goals in his last 2, Walcott looks lively and should get a start against Chelsea according to Wenger’s forward rotation. With Mourinho looking to give Arsenal’s midfield less space to operate in, gaps could appear for Walcott to get in behind and use his pace.
- Riyad MAHREZ [STO(A), 6.2m] – Leicester got pegged behind by Villa but thanks to Mahrez, they fought back to secure an impressive 3-2 win. 2 assists helped him to notch his 4th double-figure points haul in 5 gameweeks and is proving to be the most deadliest midfielder (and player) so far this FPL season.
- Mame Biram DIOUF [LEI(H), 6.6m] – Stoke have struggled a little for goals, whilst keeping things relatively tight at the back. The game against Leicester could be an open and attacking affair though, where Diouf can look to add to the 2 goals he’s scored so far this season.
- Callum WILSON [SUN(H), 5.9m] – Bournemouth welcome Sunderland to Dean Court and Wilson will be keen to get back on the goalscoring trail after blanking in Gameweek 5 despite picking up 4 goals in his last 3 matches. Sunderland improved their attacking play last weekend and if they go on the offensive, this should leave gaps at the back for Bournemouth to create their very own chances.
If you have any opinions on the Fantasy Football Addict Select XI, please tweet us at @FFAddicted or leave a message on our Facebook page. Also, don’t forget to like us for your chance to win a detailed analysis of your fantasy premier league squad in our monthly giveaway, GET INVOLVED!
Image Credit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/wonker/