Eight gameweeks down, thirty to go, any strugglers out there have to take heart from that fact. Your mate might be ahead of you by 50 points but things can change in the blink of an eye (if you blink really slowly, say a 4-week blink).
A Holloway-less Palace get us started in Saturday’s lunchtime fixture against an Arsenal side looking to make amends for their last minute defeat against Dortmund. This will be a tough test for Palace and if they can get anything out of the game it’ll be a bonus. A number of teams are in action at 3pm with the pick of the bunch being United vs Stoke, where Moyes will be desperate for a home win after failing at recent attempts.
At 5.30pm, high flyers Southampton will look to continue their superb start to the season when they take on Fulham who spelt the end for Holloway on Monday night. On Sunday, we have 4 fixtures with the highlight of the weekend, Chelsea vs Man City. This is set to be a cracker and with both vying for the title, neither team will want to go home empty handed.
If you’re new to Fantasy Football Addict, this is our weekly segment where we choose 11 players in a valid formation to enter our Fantasy Football Addict Select XI for the upcoming gameweek. We look into the fixtures and form to see which players are most likely to score high.
So without further ado, here is our selection for the ninth gameweek of the season:
- Artur BORUC [FUL(H), 4.7m] – Southampton’s high pressing game and willingness to defend from the front has reaped rewards so far this season. They have an excellent defensive record and Boruc has a great chance at another clean sheet this weekend as long as they can stop Fulham from scoring those screamers.
- Patrice EVRA [STO(H), 6.4m] – Evra was so close to a clean sheet last weekend and almost got on the scoresheet after venturing forward. With this in mind, we’re backing the outspoken Frenchman once more with United taking on Stoke who have found the back of the net only 4 times all season.
- Glen JOHNSON [WBA(H), 5.7m] – Johnson made his return from injury last weekend and had plenty of opportunities to push forward as a wing back. His price has now dropped to 5.7m and looks a great transfer with Liverpool’s upcoming fixtures. West Brom have been solid defensively but have struggled going forward.
- Kyle WALKER [HUL(H), 6.1m] – Despite Tottenham’s European commitments, Walker was left out of the squad giving him the opportunity to rest up ahead of the weekend. It won’t be an easy game against Hull but given the home advantage, Spurs look likely to add to the 5 clean sheets they’ve already picked up this season.
- David SILVA [CHE(A), 9.3m] – City look like a completely different proposition with an in-form wizard in their side. Silva is an excellent player and has recently been singled out for praise by Pellegrini. Travelling to Stamford Bridge will be difficult but it’s sure to be a tight contest where a little bit of magic could prove to be the difference.
- Eden HAZARD [MCI(H), 9.0m] – On the other side of the fence, we have Eden Hazard. It was a tricky decision between the Belgian and Oscar but we’ve taken a gamble and have gone with the player who can sometimes produce something out of nothing and often has more touches in the final third than anyone else. City’s defence will have to keep a close eye on Hazard if they plan to get a result this weekend.
- Santi CAZORLA [CPL(A), 9.6m] – Cazorla finally made his return from injury midweek and almost scored an absolute beauty but instead it came flying off the crossbar instead. With Chelsea up next in the Capital One Cup, there’s the risk of rotation looming over one of Arsenal’s midfield stars so we’ve chosen Cazorla who will be keen for gametime to get up to speed.
- Miguel MICHU [WHM(H), 9.0m] – Michu returned a surprising blank in Swansea’s resounding 4-0 victory last weekend but we’ve decided to keep the faith once more. He’s a great player who is bound to have chances to make up for the blank when Swansea take on West Ham. With Swansea’s favourable fixtures on the horizon, he could prove to be a partial differential with only 16% of managers owning him.
- Luis SUAREZ (C) [WBA(H), 11.4m] – When he’s not scoring, he’s creating, Suarez continued his fine form with a brace of assists at Newcastle last weekend. This took his tally to 29 points from a mere 3 gameweeks. Up next, he faces a tough West Brom backline but Suarez has the trickery and talent to trouble any team.
- Olivier GIROUD [CPL(A), 9.5m] – Giroud seems to be full of confidence at the moment, his flicks helped to create one of the season’s best goals and he bagged another against Dortmund on Tuesday. He’ll be travelling to Palace looking to continue his fine form and their defence could be in for a rough lunchtime as an in-form Arsenal look to extend their lead at the top of the table.
- Wayne ROONEY [STO(H), 10.9m] – Despite United’s struggle for goals, Rooney is still in decent form with 3 goals and an assist in his last 5 gameweeks. He’s clearly enjoying his football a lot more under Moyes and we think he could have a great season to keep United in the title race. The key is to keep both him and the deadly Dutchman fit, and one thing is for certain, Hughes won’t enjoy coming up against United’s strike pairing this weekend.
[box type=”info”]If you have any opinions on the Fantasy Football Addict Select XI, please share them with us by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by leaving a comment in the box below. Alternatively, you can tweet us at @FFAddicted or leave a message on our Facebook page. Also, don’t forget to like us for your chance to win a detailed analysis of your fantasy premier league squad in our monthly giveaway, GET INVOLVED![/box]
Author Credit: Richard Lam
Image Credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/75354150@N06/