Gameweek 31 was finally wrapped up on Monday night with Man United’s late win over Blackburn to extend their lead at the top to 5 points. As mentioned in our Premier League Transfers article two weeks ago, Valencia continued to show his importance to United’s title challenge breaking Blackburn’s resistance with a goal and an assist. Here is a round up of the top fantasy performers from Gameweek 31 in a valid Fantasy Premier League formation:
- David DE GEA (7pts, 6.2m) – De Gea continues to improve with every passing gameweek and is finally beginning to show the potential that convinced Fergie to bring him to Old Trafford. There is still a lot of room for improvement but it is clear that he has great shot-stopping ability with him making 4 saves, which helped to secure another clean sheet for United against Blackburn.
- Branislav IVANOVIC (16pts, 6.6m) – Ivanovic had an incredible gameweek scoring twice when well placed in Villa’s box. Unsurprisingly, he was awarded 3 bonus points for his efforts and he will continue to be a danger from set pieces in Chelsea’s remaining games. Those looking to invest in the big Serb should be wary with Di Matteo showing that he’s not afraid to rotate and Chelsea possibly facing two semi-final legs if they progress tonight in the Champions League.
- Antolin ALCARAZ (14pts, 4.3m) – Wigan continued their impressive form with a much needed victory over Stoke. Alcaraz grabbed a vital goal whilst playing his part in securing a clean sheet. Wigan now lie in the relegation zone purely on goal difference but they have an incredibly tough 3 gameweeks ahead, facing Chelsea and Arsenal away whilst hosting United in between.
- Aleksandar KOLAROV (12pts, 6.1m) – Despite conceding 3 goals, Kolarov still makes it into our Dream Team thanks to his attacking prowess. Kolarov helped City to avoid defeat at home by scoring a goal whilst creating another for Balotelli. It’s clear that when Kolarov plays that he adds to City’s attacking potential but having played no part in City’s previous 4 games, premier league fantasy managers should be wary of investing in him.
- RAFAEL da Silva (11pts, 5.4m) – Rafael has now started the last 3 United games and rewarded Fergie’s faith by setting up Valencia for his powerful strike. He also played his part in keeping Blackburn out and whether he will keep the right back spot is still unclear. With Jones and Smalling as alternatives, it is not unrealistic to think that Fergie could choose to rest Rafael at any given moment. Evans still remains the best option in the United backline given his performances and pricetag.
- Sebastian LARSSON (15pts, 6.7m) – Sunderland almost pulled off one of the biggest shocks of the weekend taking the lead at the Etihad but Man City’s late comeback salvaged a point for the title challengers. Larsson played a key role in Sunderland’s performance scoring two of their goals whilst picking up 3 bonus points along the way.
- Antonio VALENCIA (13pts, 8.2m) – Valencia continues to shine as this fantasy premier league season enters its final phase. The Ecuadorian once again showed his quality with the breakthrough goal before setting up Young for the second United goal against Blackburn. If United manage to retain their title, a lot of praise should be directed towards their reliable wingers Valencia, Young and Nani.
- Rafael VAN DER VAART (12pts, 9.5m) – Van der Vaart marked a return to form with the opener against Swansea before delivering a corner to directly to Adebayor to secure victory against Swansea. Spurs appeared to have turned the corner after their tough fixture-run and they can be expected to finish the season strongly with Bale, Van der Vaart and Adebayor all proving to be attractive fantasy prospects in the coming weeks.
- Papiss CISSE (12pts, 7.2m) – Cisse has risen by 0.5m since Gameweek 30 and this comes as no surprise given his form since joining Newcastle. Against Liverpool he grabbed another brace to take his tally to 7 goals with 5 coming in his last 3 premier league fantasy appearances. If Cisse and Ben Arfa can continue their impressive form, Newcastle could mount a late challenge on the Champions League spots which would be an amazing effort from Pardew and his men.
- Emmanuel ADEBAYOR (13pts, 9.2m) – Adebayor grabbed a brace with two headers against Swansea to add to his goal tally for the season. As Spurs continue to fight for a Champions League spot, Adebayor will be called upon to lead the charge from the front. Next up is a difficult trip to Sunderland but Spurs will be confident of scoring with the attacking ability they possess.
- Fernando TORRES (13pts, 10.0m) – We’ve all been waiting a long time and Torres finally rewarded those who kept their faith with a strong points haul in Gameweek 31. Having failed to score since Gameweek 6, Torres not only got his name on the scoresheet but helped to create two of Chelsea’s 4 goals against Villa. If Torres can build on this, we could be in for an excellent battle for the final two Champions League spots, with 4 in-form teams vying for the chance to play in Europe’s elite competition.
That concludes our round-up of the top performers this gameweek, how many of these players were present in your squad? Did any of you fantasy football addicts bring in one of these players at the last minute only to be rewarded with a strong points haul? Feel free to get involved by commenting in the boxes below or joining the conversation on Twitter with @FFAddicted. Also, don’t forget to like us on the Fantasy Football Addict Facebook page for your chance to win a detailed analysis of your fantasy premier league squad!