With the excitement of the League Cup out of the way it’s back to the good old Premier League and we have some great matches to look forward to. Top of the bill is Man United versus Arsenal, which takes place at 12.45pm on Saturday. This will be the first time that Van Persie has faced his former side since the move to rivals United. He has taken no time to settle in and will be looking to find the back of the net against his former team mates but expect muted celebrations.
We also have a bottom of the table clash between QPR and Reading on Sunday afternoon, where both teams will be looking for a vital 3 points to possibly lift them out of the relegation zone. West Brom round things off on Monday evening, where they play host to Southampton in what will surely be an exciting night of football.
To help you plan ahead for the weekend, we’ve taken a look at the fixtures and form, and have come up with some players you might want to consider bringing in or captaining for Gameweek 10. If you’re new to Fantasy Football Addict, this is our weekly segment where we choose 11 players in a valid formation to enter our Premier League Fantasy Select XI for the upcoming gameweek. So without further ado, here is our selection for the tenth gameweek of the season:
- Ben FOSTER [SOT(H), 5.2m] – West Brom have been unlucky to be on the losing end in their last two matches against City and Newcastle but they will be looking to put things right when they take on Southampton at the Hawthorns. A clean sheet is not guaranteed but the Baggies are sure to make it a difficult evening for the Saints and Foster may just be rewarded with a shutout on Monday night.
- Ryan SHAWCROSS [NOR(A), 5.0m] – With 3 clean sheets in their last 4, Stoke are the in-form team when it comes to keeping goals out. Shawcross was rewarded with the maximum 3 bonus points last time out and with Norwich struggling, Stoke will look to keep it tight at the back once again when they travel to Carrow Road.
- Jan VERTONGHEN [WIG(H), 6.4m] – Spurs haven’t been the best defensively but Wigan’s away form is far from strong. AVB will have his eyes on a victory come Saturday afternoon and Vertonghen definitely carries an attacking threat whether he’s playing at centre back or on the left, whilst a clean sheet remains on the cards.
- Leighton BAINES [FUL(A), 7.6m] – Baines continued his fine form last weekend with an assist and 2 bonus points despite scoring an unfortunate own goal. This goes some way in explaining why he may be a fantasy must-have this season. Despite Everton’s vulnerabilities at the back, Baines continues to offer plenty of attacking threat and assists always look likely from the talented left back.
- Gareth BALE (C) [WIG(H), 9.6m] – Bale didn’t disappoint us with our captain selection last weekend as he grabbed a headed goal in the win against Southampton. He also found the back of the net in the midweek Capital One game against Norwich. With Bale in such strong form, we’ve decided to let him keep the armband for the second consecutive gameweek as Spurs host Wigan.
- Juan MATA [SWA(A), 9.4m] – Mata continued his great form with a well taken free kick against United in Gameweek 9 and although travelling to Swansea won’t be an easy task, Chelsea have enough talent to cause them problems. With Vorm out with a groin injury, Laudrup will be hoping that backup keeper Tremmel can take his chance to shine.
- James MORRISON [SOT(H), 6.2m] – If you’re looking for a reliable budget fantasy premier league midfielder, then Morrison should be one of your options. He has had a strong season so far and continues to be the source of West Brom’s creativity. With Southampton struggling to keep clean sheets as they stick to their attacking ethos, Morrison could benefit come Monday night against a team that has shipped 26 goals in just 9 games this season.
- Adel TAARABT [RDG(H), 5.5m] – Taarabt is an unlikely choice given QPR’s current predicament but Hughes will be focused on making this game count as pressure continues to build on his position as manager. QPR were unlucky to lose against Arsenal last weekend despite going down to 10 men and in Gameweek 9 we could see QPR’s fortune turn. With Taarabt situated in the hole behind Zamora,the Moroccan could provide the much needed spark to secure the 3 points.
- Dimitar BERBATOV [EVE(H), 7.1m] – Berbatov once again showed his ability to find the back of the net away at Reading last weekend when he spun off his marker to slot home a well taken strike. Everton will be a difficult match but Fulham have strong home form and Berby will be looking to continue his great start to life as a Fulham player.
- Robin VAN PERSIE [ARS(H), 13.4m] – Van Persie continued his amazing form since joining United with a goal and an assist at Stamford Bridge. It is sure to be an emotional match against his former side but with the Old Trafford faithful roaring him on, he may just pour salt into the wound he created when he decided to leave in the summer.
- Luis SUAREZ [NEW(H), 9.7m] – The final spot in our Select XI goes to Luis Suarez, the man who courts controversy wherever he goes. In the Merseyside derby, he continued his great start to the season with another goal and an assist. The match against Newcastle may be tricky but they will be missing their main man Demba Ba, and the Uruguayan livewire is likely to cause a whole host of problems for their backline.
[box type=”info”]If you have any opinions on the Fantasy Football Addict Select XI, please share them with us by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by leaving a comment in the box below. Alternatively, you can tweet us at @FFAddicted or leave a message on our Facebook page. Also, don’t forget to like us for your chance to win a detailed analysis of your fantasy premier league squad in our monthly giveaway! For a second chance to win a squad analysis, join our “League of Addicts” by entering the following code: 98894-156973, GET INVOLVED![/box]
Image Credit: Flickr – Ronnie Macdonald