With Gameweek 17 creeping up, it’s time to take a look at this weekend’s fixtures and see which players are likely to score highly. Newcastle kick things off tomorrow in the 12.45pm kick off against reigning champions Man City, who will be desperate to close the gap at the top before Man United take on Sunderland at 3pm. On Sunday we have Spurs hosting Swansea before West Brom take on West Ham at the Hawthorns. To finish things off we have Arsenal travelling to Reading on Monday evening.
To help you plan ahead for this gameweek, we’ve taken a look at the fixtures and form, and have come up with some players you might want to consider bringing in or captaining for Gameweek 17. If you’re new to Fantasy Football Addict, this is our weekly segment where we choose 11 players in a valid formation to enter our Premier League Fantasy Select XI for the upcoming gameweek. So without further ado, here is our selection for the seventeenth gameweek of the season:
- Mark BUNN [WIG(H), 4.0m] – With Ruddy out through injury, budget keeper Bunn has taken the spot between the sticks for Norwich in their last 3 matches. He has failed to keep a clean sheet so far but Hughton will be hoping for an improved performance against Wigan in front of their home fans in Gameweek 17.
- Glen JOHNSON [AVL(H), 6.3m] – Liverpool have improved their defensive form of late with 3 clean sheets in their last 5 matches. Add this to Johnson’s recent attacking exploits (a goal and an assist in his last 2 games) and you have a defender who could return points at both ends of the field. The match won’t be the easiest with Villa’s improved form but Rodgers will be looking for the victory.
- RAFAEL Da Silva [SUN(H), 6.4m] – After a shocking 30 minutes against Reading, many started to doubt Rafael’s worth but he answered his critics in excellent fashion with 2 assists in the win over Man City. The first came from a run down the right wing and a pull back for Rooney to slot home, whilst the second was a bit more fortunate with the Brazilian winning the free kick for RVP’s last minute winner. Against a Sunderland side struggling with injuries, Rafael is another defender who could return both defensive and attacking points.
- Kyle WALKER [SWA(H), 6.1m] – Spurs have not been great defensively but they rarely concede more than one goal, whereas Swansea’s form has dipped slightly of late and were a tad fortunate to reach the semi-finals after narrowly defeating Middlesborough midweek. They may be a little tired from that match and Spurs will not make things easy for them. As always, Walker will look to make darting runs down the right and could be set for a decent score this weekend.
- David SILVA [NEW(A), 9.4m] – Silva is still finding his groove after returning from injury but their are glimpses of his quality coming through. He was unlucky not to find himself on the scoresheet against United with De Gea’s shoulder and the crossbar preventing him. Newcastle have struggled with injuries to important players like Cabaye and Man City will be looking to capitalise on this in an attempt to shorten the gap at the top, even if it is only for a couple of hours.
- Clint DEMPSEY [SWA(H), 9.1m] – With Bale likely to be out with a hamstring injury, Dempsey may be required to play left wing again but we can expect him to drift inside on occasion. Dempsey is one of the most in-form fantasy premier league midfielders, returning attacking points in each of his last 4 games. If he keeps this up, he could prove to be an alternative option for Spurs coverage as opposed to Bale and Defoe.
- Robert SNODGRASS [WIG(H), 7.5m] – Snodgrass is another in-form midfielder with 2 goals and 2 assists in his last 3 games for Norwich. With set pieces in his locker, Snodgrass has started to produce attacking returns with Norwich becoming a little more adventurous. Norwich will have been disappointed after being knocked out of the Capital One Cup by Aston Villa and Hughton will be looking for them to bounce back with a home victory over Wigan in Gameweek 17.
- Adel TAARABT [FUL(H), 5.5m] – Redknapp is still searching for his first win as QPR boss and it may come this weekend. Fulham have struggled without the creativity of Ruiz, pushing more responsibility onto Berbatov’s shoulders. If Redknapp can keep the Bulgarian quiet, Taarabt may be able to influence things at the other end. With impressive attacking statistics, Taarabt could be the creative talent that inspires QPR to their first victory of the season.
- Shane LONG [WHM(H), 6.4m] – Results have not gone West Brom’s way of late but their players are not becoming disheartened and will want to put things right this weekend when they take on West Ham. Long has had a great season so far with 5 goals and 5 assists to his name already, and Clarke will be looking to his hardworking striker to help create goals and get their season back on track.
- Robin VAN PERSIE (C) [SUN(H), 13.8m] – Van Persie may have been a little fortunate with his winning goal in the derby last weekend but that took his tally to 3 in his last 3 games and 11 so far this season. It’s clear that the Dutchman has taken no time to settle in at United and is thriving being part of the Manchester side. Against a Sunderland side struggling with injuries that has already played 2 games in the last 7 days, RVP may well be able to add to his season’s tally and unsurprisingly we’ve decided to hand him the armband for our Select XI side.
- Luis SUAREZ [AVL(H), 10.3m] – After missing last weekend’s win over West Ham through suspension, Suarez will be eager to get back out there to score some goals. Although Villa have tightened up at the back lately, the dangerous Uruguayan is always a tricky customer and the Villa defence will have to be on their guard when they travel to Anfield in Gameweek 17.
[box type=”info”]If you have any opinions on the Fantasy Football Addict Select XI, please share them with us by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by leaving a comment in the box below. Alternatively, you can tweet us at @FFAddicted or leave a message on our Facebook page. Also, don’t forget to like us for your chance to win a detailed analysis of your fantasy premier league squad in our monthly giveaway! For a second chance to win a squad analysis, join our “League of Addicts” by entering the following code: 98894-156973, GET INVOLVED![/box]
Image Credit: Flickr – RuaraidhG