The very first gameweek of the Fantasy Premier League season finally kicked off on Saturday but due to Chelsea’s double gameweek, it only finished on Wednesday. There were some impressive scorelines with Fulham and Swansea both notching five each and Man City sharing a 3-2 belter with Premier League new boys Southampton. There were also defences who came out on top and as such, there were some impressive individual scores in Gameweek 1.
However, Gameweek 2 is just around the corner and there’s no time to hang around. If you’re new to Fantasy Football Addict, this is our weekly segment where we choose 11 players in a valid formation to enter our Premier League Fantasy Select XI for the upcoming gameweek. So without further ado, here is our selection for the second gameweek of the season:
- David DE GEA [FUL(H), 6.0m] – Despite ending up on the losing side on Monday night, De Gea pulled out some excellent saves to keep United in the game and was unfortunate not to keep a clean sheet. Although, Fulham put 5 past Norwich at the weekend, they will find things a lot tougher when they travel to Old Trafford and De Gea might just get the shutout he missed out on in Gameweek 1.
- Angel RANGEL [WHM(H), 5.0m] – Swansea got things off to a flyer away at QPR and also managed to keep a clean sheet in the process. Rangel didn’t bomb up the field as much as we would’ve hoped but at home against West Ham, he may be given more licence to get forward. With an attacking threat added to his defensive potential, Rangel gets a spot in our Select XI.
- Kyle WALKER [WBA(H), 6.5m] – Spurs were unlucky against Newcastle and will be hoping to notch their first victory of the season when they host the Baggies on Saturday afternoon. Walker has developed into a fine marauding full back since his loan spell at Aston Villa and he will be a constant attacking threat down the right against West Brom.
- Branislav IVANOVIC [NEW(H), 6.6m] – Ivanovic has had a cracking premier league fantasy start after notching twice in the first gameweek to show his attacking potential this coming season. Newcastle will not be an easy opposition and a clean sheet is not guaranteed but with Ivanovic’s attacking threat, he takes the final defensive spot in our Select XI.
- Miguel MICHU [WHM(H), 6.8m] – Michu grabbed a massive 18-point haul in his Premier League debut and it is no surprise that he has been transferred in by swarms with Swansea’s favourable fixtures on the horizon. With West Ham up next, his many managers will be hoping that he can repeat the performance again.
- Shinji KAGAWA [FUL(H), 8.5m] – Gary Neville’s diagnosis of the Man.U game was that they didn’t get the ball enough to Kagawa who was finding space regularly. Fergie will look to correct this and we fancy the Japanese playmaker to be key to United’s performance against Fulham on Saturday afternoon.
- Gareth BALE(C) [WBA(H), 9.5m] – Bale was incredible in last season’s fantasy premier league and although he failed to impress against Newcastle, he will be central to Spurs’ attacking play against the Baggies. With that in mind, Fantasy Football Addict has decided to give him the captain’s armband this gameweek in anticipation for a high score to get Spurs’ first home game off to a flyer.
- Eden HAZARD [NEW(H), 9.7m] – Hazard came to the Premier League with high expectations and he has delivered already with 5 assists in the very first gameweek. In such strong form, it was impossible to leave him out of the Select XI and Pardew will have told his defenders to watch his tricky feet in the box, which have so far yielded two penalties, dispatched by Lampard.
- Wayne ROONEY [FUL(H),12.0m] – Although, United struggled at times against Everton, when they play at Old Trafford they are an altogether different proposition. Rooney didn’t have the best of games but this will only motivate him to impress at home against Fulham. With uncertainty surrounding whether Van Persie will start, Rooney is the safer striking option going into Gameweek 2.
- Jermain DEFOE [WBA(H), 7.5m] – Despite the signing of Adebayor, AVB should keep faith with Defoe, who is looking sharp in front of goal, having scored a belter for England and got his name on the scoresheet against Newcastle. With his place up top under threat, Defoe will be keen to impress and the Baggies will have the tough task of keeping him quiet.
- Luis SUAREZ [MCI(H), 9.5m] – Suarez comes as a bit of a surprise selection considering Liverpool face the league champions this weekend but the Uruguayan relishes matches like this and the atmosphere at Anfield will be electric. This will spur Suarez on and if Liverpool are to get a result, they will be looking for some inspiration from their dangerman in attack.
[box type=”info”]If you have any opinions on the Fantasy Football Addict Select XI, please share them with us by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by leaving a comment in the box below. Alternatively, you can tweet us at @FFAddicted or leave a message on our Facebook page. Also, don’t forget to like us for your chance to win a detailed analysis of your fantasy premier league squad in our monthly giveaway! For a second chance to win a squad analysis, join our “League of Addicts” by entering the following code: 98894-156973, GET INVOLVED![/box]
Image Credit: Flickr – Ronnie Macdonald