The festive madness continues with another gameweek coming thick and fast. There was a lot to take in from the Boxing Day fun including Rooney’s injury which looks to keep him out for a couple of games and Man City’s inability to score against Sunderland. Despite occupying the top two spots, it’s clear that both Manchester clubs aren’t cruising smoothly through the latest fixtures and could drop more points whilst they struggle to find their form.
Elsewhere, Bale took all the limelight by smashing a hat trick past a Villa side desperately searching for confidence, whilst Mata continued to show just how important he is for Chelsea by burying a long range strike in the 1-0 win over Norwich. Next up they take on an Everton side that continue to grind out results but will be missing their big man as Fellaini sees out the final game of his ban. United will be taking on a Baggies side that defeated QPR on their last travels and Fergie will hope that his attacking stars can continue to perform in the absence of defensive solidity.
To help you plan ahead for this gameweek, we’ve taken a look at the fixtures and form, and have come up with some players you might want to consider bringing in or captaining for Gameweek 20. If you’re new to Fantasy Football Addict, this is our weekly segment where we choose 11 players in a valid formation to enter our Premier League Fantasy Select XI for the upcoming gameweek. So without further ado, here is our selection for the twentieth gameweek of the season:
- Jussi JAASKELAINEN [RDG(A), 5.3m] – With the Tube strike giving West Ham a much needed day off on Boxing Day, what players they do have fit will be relatively fresh. Jaaskelainen has been one of the keepers of the season, which has seen his price rise from 4.5m to 5.3m and against a Reading side who have struggled significantly in front of goal, he may be able to pick up a clean sheet this weekend.
- Jose ENRIQUE [QPR(A), 6.0m] – Enrique had a tough time away at Stoke as they ran out 3-1 winners in the final fixture on Boxing Day. However, travelling to QPR should be an easier test with the London side struggling to get out of the relegation zone. Rodgers will expect a strong performance to see off 2012 and Enrique could be in line for a decent points haul.
- Robert HUTH [SOT(H), 5.8m] – Stoke will have to change their defence round a little with Shawcross and Cameron both picking up their 5th yellow cards of the season. However, Huth remains and the German could be set to prosper against a side that has recently become a little goal shy in favour of improving their own defensive performances. With Lallana still out of the picture, the Saints could struggle once again without his creative output.
- Bacary SAGNA [NEW(H), 5.1m] – Sagna has been in great form of late picking up 8 points twice in his last 3 games. This has come from both clean sheets and a couple of bonus points on two occasions. With Arsenal missing out on Boxing Day and Newcastle’s exertions against Man United, Sagna may be able to continue his strong form in Gameweek 20.
- Juan MATA [EVE(A), 9.7m] – Mata was recently praised by Benitez as the man that can make the difference and he did exactly that in the 1-0 win over Norwich. A trip to Goodison won’t be an easy task but it’s clear that Mata has the ability to cause problems for any side. The only worry for Mata owners is the eventual possibility of Benitez resting the Spaniard against his wishes.
- Kevin NOLAN [RDG(A), 6.6m] – West Ham are seriously struggling with injuries with talk of full contact training sessions being taken off the schedule but they will be fit and ready to take on Reading this weekend. Nolan continues to be a danger with his ability to pop up in the right position and Reading will need to keep a close eye on him especially as his partner in crime, Carlton Cole, has had his ban rescinded.
- Santi CAZORLA (C) [NEW(H), 9.6m] – We’re unlikely to see Cazorla replicate his monstrous haul against Reading but that performance underlined his quality and against a tired Newcastle side, he could make them pay. Against Wigan, Walcott struggled but Giroud has been passed fit and provides an alternative for Wenger if things are not going to plan.
- Gareth BALE [SUN(A), 9.7m] – Bale was incredible against Villa, picking up a hat trick and returning a massive 21 points overall. Travelling to Sunderland will be a trickier task with the Wearside club full of confidence following their victory over Man City. However, Bale has the ability to trouble any defence in the Premier League and once again he finds himself in our Select XI.
- Arouna KONE [AVL(A), 6.5m] – With Villa in such poor form, we’ve chosen the unlikely player of Kone to grace our Select XI lineup for Gameweek 20. Wigan have been unfortunate with their results afte some promising performances and if form is to go by, Wigan could be in for a positive result and Kone is most likely to benefit.
- Javier HERNANDEZ [WBA(H), 6.9m] – With Rooney out of the picture, Chicharito took his chance to shine grabbing the all important winner in the 4-3 victory over Newcastle. Hernandez had a number of chances to score and will have been relieved to have notched right at the death. It’ll be a tricky match against the Baggies but Hernandez should get the nod to cause their defence some problems this weekend.
- Lukas PODOLSKI [NEW(H), 8.2m] – If Pardew continues with his attacking strategy, this will leave chances for Arsenal to score and with the extra rest, they should be raring to go. Podolski hasn’t been the most consistent of fantasy football performers but with 5 goals and 5 assists already, he’s worth a shout in a fixture like this.
[box type=”info”]If you have any opinions on the Fantasy Football Addict Select XI, please share them with us by sending an email to email@example.com or by leaving a comment in the box below. Alternatively, you can tweet us at @FFAddicted or leave a message on our Facebook page. Also, don’t forget to like us for your chance to win a detailed analysis of your fantasy premier league squad in our monthly giveaway! For a second chance to win a squad analysis, join our “League of Addicts” by entering the following code: 98894-156973, GET INVOLVED![/box]
Image Credit: Flickr – Ronnie Macdonald