It feels like an age since the last gameweek but with all of the cup action out of the way, it’s back to business. Wildcards are live but according to the price changes, most managers look to be biding their time before making drastic changes. In other updates, new boys Sturridge and Ba have both hit the ground running, notching their first goals whilst on cup duty, with Ba (8.6m) looking particularly impressive.
In Gameweek 22, we have our first of two double gameweeks in January with Chelsea and Southampton playing an additional match next Wednesday. But before that game rolls around we have a bumper packed weekend including 8 fixtures on the Saturday and two crackers on the Sunday. In the Saturday lunchtime kickoff, QPR will be looking to build on the amazing victory over Chelsea by defeating another fellow London side in the form of Spurs. On Sunday, we’re treated to a football feast with United hosting Liverpool at 1.30pm before Arsenal battle Man City at 4pm to round things off for the weekend.
To help you plan ahead for this gameweek, we’ve taken a look at the fixtures and form, and have come up with some players you might want to consider bringing in or captaining for Gameweek 22. If you’re new to Fantasy Football Addict, this is our weekly segment where we choose 11 players in a valid formation to enter our Premier League Fantasy Select XI for the upcoming gameweek. So without further ado, here is our selection for the 22nd gameweek of the season:
- Simon MIGNOLET [WHM(H), 5.2m] – Mignolet is one of the most in-form goalies with 2 clean sheets in his last 4. Next up, he faces West Ham who struggled to score when they were last on their travels at Reading. O’Neill will look to keep it tight as he targets what could be an important 3 points to lift his side further away from the relegation zone.
- Branislav IVANOVIC [STO(A), SOT(H), 7.1m] – Ivanovic had a shocker against Swansea in the Capital One cup, making two horrible mistakes to gift the Welsh side their lead going into the semi-final second leg. However, this will motivate Ivanovic and in Gameweek 22 we are likely to see a player who is desperate to make amends and he’ll have two chances against both Stoke and Southampton.
- David LUIZ [STO(A), SOT(H), 6.7m] – With Luiz still occupying a midfield position, we’ve chosen to double up on Chelsea ‘defenders’. Luiz continues to provide an attacking threat including set pieces, whilst picking up any defensive points from his current classification. As with Ivanovic, he’ll get two chances to impress us this gameweek.
- Leighton BAINES [SWA(H), 7.5m] – Baines scored one of the goals of the season in the last gameweek with a cracker of a free kick from long range. The Evertonian has threatened all season and was rewarded with 3 bonus points for his goalscoring performance. A fresh Everton side should take the game to Swansea despite their morale-boosting midweek game and Baines will look to cause trouble from set pieces and down the left wing once again.
- Juan MATA (C) [STO(A), SOT(H), 9.9m] – With Mata being Chelsea’s main man, it was impossible to leave him out given the double gameweek and with that in mind, we’ve also given him the captain’s armband. With Chelsea facing Arsenal and Swansea in the subsequent week, Mata could be rested for one of the games but we’re willing to take the risk for the talents of the little Spaniard.
- Theo WALCOTT [MCI(H), 9.0m] – With Giroud currently rated 50/50 to make the game, Walcott may get another chance to impress up top. With City missing both Yaya Toure and Aguero, they could struggle a little and with home advantage resting with Arsenal, they’ll be looking to force the issue. The atmosphere is going to be lively and Walcott will feed off that as he continues to stake his claim for the striker’s spot.
- Marouane FELLAINI [SWA(H), 7.4m] – Fellaini was back on the scoresheet in their FA cup match against Cheltenham and he’ll be looking to continue his form when he takes on Swansea in Gameweek 22. The Belgian is more than a handful for most defenders and Swansea will have to be ready to deal with his physical presence if they are to get anything out of this weekend’s game.
- Gareth BALE [QPR(A), 9.8m] – Bale was suspended for the last league game against Reading but he made up for it in the FA cup with a goal and 2 assists against Coventry. Granted it will be more difficult travelling to QPR but Bale is more than a match for most players. Redknapp will be looking forward to this match and will want to prove a point but deep down he will also be hoping that Bale has an off day.
- Dimitar BERBATOV [WIG(H), 7.1m] – With Ruiz back in the picture, Berbatov has prospered grabbing 2 goals and an assist in his last 3 matches. Fulham will be keen to secure 3 points at home to Wigan and Berbatov will be a key figure as he plans to dictate proceedings with his casual style.
- Robin VAN PERSIE [LIV(H), 14.0m] – Van Persie’s last goal was simply sublime, the control was magnificent and the right foot finish clinical. Confidence will be flowing through his veins and Fergie will be looking to the Dutchman to inspire United to an important victory over their rivals. We might very well see a high scoring game as the two most in form strikers and fantasy players come head to head.
- Rickie LAMBERT [AVL(A), CHE(A), 6.3m] – It was hard leaving out Suarez but we’ve gone for a budget option in the form of Rickie Lambert. With 2 goals and 2 assists in his last 3 games, Lambert is in some great form and may make Aston Villa pay if they choose to defend like they did against Bradford. The second match against Chelsea is likely to be trickier but as Swansea showed, if you ride your luck, you can come away with a result.
[box type=”info”]If you have any opinions on the Fantasy Football Addict Select XI, please share them with us by sending an email to email@example.com or by leaving a comment in the box below. Alternatively, you can tweet us at @FFAddicted or leave a message on our Facebook page. Also, don’t forget to like us for your chance to win a detailed analysis of your fantasy premier league squad in our monthly giveaway! For a second chance to win a squad analysis, join our “League of Addicts” by entering the following code: 98894-156973, GET INVOLVED![/box]
Image Credit: Flickr – thesportreview