With one double gameweek down, it’s on to part 2 with Arsenal and West Ham doubling up in Gameweek 23. Those who gambled on Mata, Hazard and Ba were rewarded with strong scores and fantasy football managers will be hoping the same can be repeated in the upcoming round of action. With this in mind, we’ve chosen a few doublers to join the Select XI party.
It remains to be seen how the snowy weather might affect this gameweek but at the moment the games are going ahead with Newcastle in particular making plans to clear the pitch and surrounding areas. Hopefully this wintry weather won’t play havoc with the fixtures but the chill is sure to have an effect even if games are played. After last week’s Super Sunday, we’ve got another one this weekend as Chelsea battle Arsenal at 1.30pm before Spurs take on United at 4pm.
To help you plan ahead for this gameweek, we’ve taken a look at the fixtures and form, and have come up with some players you might want to consider bringing in or captaining for Gameweek 23. If you’re new to Fantasy Football Addict, this is our weekly segment where we choose 11 players in a valid formation to enter our Premier League Fantasy Select XI for the upcoming gameweek. So without further ado, here is our selection for the 23rd gameweek of the season:
- Jussi JAASKELAINEN [QPR(H), ARS(A), 5.3m] – With West Ham tackling both QPR and Arsenal in Gameweek 23, we’ve selected Jaaskelainen as our goalkeeper. West Ham may not keep a clean sheet but they’ll look to keep it tight in both matches and Jaaskelainen should be able to pick up a few saves over the course of the two matches.
- Glen JOHNSON [NOR(H), 6.4m] – Liverpool have kept clean sheets in both of their recent home games, beating Fulham 4-0 and Sunderland 3-0. Next up they face Norwich and Rodgers will be looking for the team to bounce back after the disappointing loss to United with a morale-boosting victory. As always, Johnson will also provide an attacking threat in addition to his potential to pick up clean sheet points.
- Kieran GIBBS [CHE(A), WHM(H), 5.6m] – Our second double gameweeker comes in the form of Arsenal left back Gibbs, a reliable performer with little competition for his position. Gibbs offers decent attacking support down the left wing, which has seen him pick up 3 assists in his last 3 games. If you are planning on bringing him in, it’s best to do so now as his price is set to rise tonight (Thursday).
- Pablo ZABALETA [FUL(H), 6.0m] – Another solid defender is Man City’s Zabaleta who provides good attacking threat in addition to his strength at the back. With 3 clean sheets in their last 5 games, City are picking up some defensive form and if they can keep Ruiz and Berbatov shackled, another shutout could be on the cards. It’s also helpful that Kompany’s ban has been rescinded and he is free to play.
- David SILVA [FUL(H), 9.4m] – Silva has had a strong season so far, if not spectacular. His assists are steadily mounting with 9 to his name already and if City are to get a result, they will need Silva to be at his creative best. With Aguero possibly making a comeback, Silva may have a strike partner he can depend upon to finish his if set free.
- Theo WALCOTT (C) [CHE(A), WHM(H), 9.1m] – Another player that is dangerously close to a price rise is Theo Walcott. Whether he’s given another chance up top depends a lot on Giroud but either way, Walcott will be a danger. With 8 goals and 8 assists already this season, we’ve chosen Walcott as our fantasy captain for the upcoming gameweek.
- Steven GERRARD [NOR(H), 9.4m] – Gerrard has been in spectacular form of late and has really ramped up his fantasy score with 3 goals and 6 assist in his last 6 matches. This is an incredible return and Norwich will need to keep Gerrard quiet if they are to get a result. However, with Sturridge joining the party, Gerrard will have yet another player to pick out to increase his total for assists this season.
- Gareth BALE [MUN(H), 9.8m] – Bale is always a threat against any side and he may be the man to finally punish United for their defensive problems. On more than one occasion United have been lucky to have not conceded more and they will need Vidic and co to be on their best behaviour to keep the Welshman under wraps. Whether that’s possible is another question but if Fergie decides to attack, we could be in for a cracking game of football.
- Romelu LUKAKU [AVL(H), 7.1m] – Lukaku was very unlucky to be on the losing side against Reading last weekend as he put in a great performance for the Baggies. With the Villa defence being far from secure at the back, Lukaku will be licking his lips at the chance to add to his goal tally for the season, as he continues to gain experience and fulfil his potential.
- Robin VAN PERSIE [TOT(A), 14.1m] – Van Persie was rested for the midweek cup replay against West Ham as Rooney returned from injury, so the Dutchman will be fresh to take on Spurs at White Hart Lane. He’s sure to get a frosty reception from the Spurs fans for being a former Gunner but that will only motivate him further to make them quiet the only way he can, by finding the back of the net.
- Luis SUAREZ [NOR(H), 10.4m] – It remains to be seen how Sturridge may affect Suarez’s output, he may take away goalscoring chances but at the same time he could distract defenders allowing Suarez more room to play. One thing’s for certain, Suarez will continue to be a dangerous attacker and Norwich will have to be at their defensive best to get anything out of what will be a difficult match.
[box type=”info”]If you have any opinions on the Fantasy Football Addict Select XI, please share them with us by sending an email to email@example.com or by leaving a comment in the box below. Alternatively, you can tweet us at @FFAddicted or leave a message on our Facebook page. Also, don’t forget to like us for your chance to win a detailed analysis of your fantasy premier league squad in our monthly giveaway! For a second chance to win a squad analysis, join our “League of Addicts” by entering the following code: 98894-156973, GET INVOLVED![/box]
Image Credit: Flickr – RuaraidhG