The second gameweek of the season was a cracker where Swansea and Everton both continued their fine form, whilst RVP scored his first goal for United on his debut as they held on for a 3-2 victory over Fulham. Hazard and Torres were inspirational in their win over Newcastle and will surely be in managers’ minds after this blank gameweek for Chelsea. To finish Gameweek 3, we were treated to a battling 2-2 draw between Liverpool and Man City, where Tevez and Suarez showed exactly why they should be considered for our fantasy football squads this coming season.
However, Gameweek 3 is approaching quickly and it’s time to look forward. If you’re new to Fantasy Football Addict, this is our weekly segment where we choose 11 players in a valid formation to enter our Premier League Fantasy Select XI for the upcoming gameweek. So without further ado, here is our selection for the third gameweek of the season:
- Tim KRUL [AVL(H), 5.5m] – In Gameweek 3, Newcastle play host to bottom of the table Villa and Krul will be looking to keep a clean sheet. Despite Villa getting off the mark against Tranmere on Tuesday with a 3-0 win, going to St. James’ Park will be a completely different challenge and we can’t see them getting much change out of Newcastle this Sunday.
- Angel RANGEL [SUN(H), 5.1m] – Rangel had an excellent second gameweek picking up a massive 14 points. He showed his attacking prowess by bursting into the box, causing Jaaskelainen to turn into his own net. Swansea will be looking to continue their winning start to the season, when Sunderland visit. A clean sheet is not guaranteed but there is still the potential for attacking returns this coming gameweek.
- Benoit ASSOU-EKOTTO [NOR(H), 6.5m] – Another defender to get his name on the scoresheet last weekend was Assou Ekotto. AVB will have been distraught with Spurs for not sealing out the game against the Baggies but they will have the opportunity to redeem themselves when Norwich visit this weekend.
- RAFAEL da Silva [SOU(A), 5.5m] – Rafael had a brilliant premier league fantasy start after grabbing his first goal of the season, whilst going close a further two times. Fergie may restrict Rafael’s attacking forays when they visit Southampton but there is clearly the potential for defensive and attacking returns with the young Brazilian full back.
- Miguel MICHU [SUN(H), 7.1m] – Michu continued his goalscoring form by capitalising on a sloppy backpass by Collins in GW2 and with Swansea playing at home 4 times in their next 6 games, Michu’s price has shot up by 0.6m already! It appears that the bandwagon is in full force and with Ki Sung Yeung playing behind him, Michu may receive even more service to keep his fantasy managers happy.
- Shinji KAGAWA [SOU(A), 8.6m] – Kagawa finally announced himself to the fantasy premier league with his first league goal for United against Fulham, he also hit the post in the same game. With Rooney out of the picture, Fergie is likely to give Kagawa more attacking freedom in his quest to supply the deadly Dutchman up top.
- Gareth BALE(C) [NOR(H), 9.5m] – Bale has had a poor fantasy premier league start by his high standards but we think it’s only a matter of time before he starts bringing in the points. Against Norwich he will have an ideal opportunity but if he fails again, we may see fantasy football managers opting to transfer him out and join the swarms of people bringing in Hazard.
- Moussa DEMBELE [NOR(H), 6.0m] – One player who is likely to help Bale’s cause is his new team mate, Dembele. He was outstanding against United on Saturday and is likely to go straight into the starting lineup for Spurs this weekend. Dembele has the ability to link play in the midfield, whilst being able to drift past players with ease. At 6.0m, he is a snippet and with Spurs’ favourable fixtures, he could be an interesting differential option.
- Robin VAN PERSIE [SOU(A),13.2m] – With Rooney injured, Fergie won’t hesitate to put RVP up top and with the service behind him, the Dutchman could be set to rack up the fantasy points. His price has already risen by 0.2m and if he puts Southampton to the sword, he could be set for further investment over the coming weeks.
- Carlos TEVEZ [QPR(H), 9.6m] – Tevez once again showed his importance given Aguero’s stint on the sidelines through injury. He grabbed a goal and an assist in the game at Anfield and will be looking to continue his fine form when QPR visit the Etihad. QPR have struggled to gel but Hughes will have a point to prove and although it might not be plain sailing for Man City, Tevez will make life very difficult for the Rangers defenders.
- DEMBA BA [AVL(H), 7.7m] – Villa have struggled in their opening two games and things won’t get any easier when they face Newcastle in Gameweek 3. It remains to be seen whether Demba Ba will play up front or as a wing forward but he has the attributes to get on the scoresheet and will provide a true test to a shaky Villa backline.
[box type=”info”]If you have any opinions on the Fantasy Football Addict Select XI, please share them with us by sending an email to email@example.com or by leaving a comment in the box below. Alternatively, you can tweet us at @FFAddicted or leave a message on our Facebook page. Also, don’t forget to like us for your chance to win a detailed analysis of your fantasy premier league squad in our monthly giveaway! For a second chance to win a squad analysis, join our “League of Addicts” by entering the following code: 98894-156973, GET INVOLVED![/box]
Image Credit: Flickr – Blog Gallery