With the Capital One Cup out of the way, it’s time to get back to league action as Gameweek 6 approaches. It starts with a bang as Arsenal take on Chelsea in the Saturday lunchtime fixture and United take on Spurs in the evening game to end a bumper day of footy action. Sunday only has the one match with Villa taking on Albion in the West Midlands derby and QPR finish things off on Monday night when they host West Ham at Loftus Road.
If you’re new to Fantasy Football Addict, this is our weekly segment where we choose 11 players in a valid formation to enter our Premier League Fantasy Select XI for the upcoming gameweek. So without further ado, here is our selection for the fourth gameweek of the season:
- Julio CESAR [WHU(H), 5.0m] – In their last home match, QPR held Chelsea to a goalless draw and in Gameweek 6 they host West Ham United. If Cesar’s defence can keep an eye on dangerman Kevin Nolan, they could be set for a second consecutive clean sheet in a match which Hughes will demand a victory.
- Leighton BAINES (C) [SOT(H), 7.2m] – Everton have been in excellent form lately and Baines has been central to most of this. At times he can appear to be a winger with some devilish crosses, and with set pieces and penalties in the locker, it comes as no surprise that he’s due a 0.1m price rise tonight. So if you’re planning on using your transfer to get the left back in, I wouldn’t hesitate to bring in our Select XI captain for Gameweek 6.
- Ryan SHAWCROSS [SWA(H), 5.0m] – This gameweek has thrown up some interesting fixtures and predicting clean sheets is far from easy. This is why we’ve gone for the unlikely figure of Ryan Shawcross for our second defensive spot. Swansea have stuttered recently and a trip to Stoke is not the ideal match in which to regain their form. Having conceded only one goal in their 2 home games against Arsenal and Man City, Pulis will once again look for defensive solidity when Swansea visit this weekend.
- Matthew LOWTON [WBA(H), 4.5m] – Aston Villa had a premier league fantasy nightmare losing to Southampton last weekend but they’ll be looking to get their season back on track with the game against the Baggies this Sunday. West Brom have struggled away from home and if Morrison fails to recover from his hamstring injury, Villa may be able to build on the clean sheet they collected against Swansea in their previous home game.
- Steven GERRARD [NOR(A), 9.4m] – Liverpool looked dominant against Man United before Shelvey was given his marching orders and an upturn in fortune could be just around the corner for the Reds. Gerrard got the ball rolling with his first goal of the season last weekend to remind us of his goal threat and he will once again be key when Liverpool visit a struggling Norwich this Saturday.
- Marouane FELLAINI [SOT(H), 7.2m] – Another player to find the back of the net last weekend was Marouane Fellaini. The Belgian had suffered a recent dip in form but was back in business for the trip to Swansea where he picked up a goal and an assist in a strong performance. He continues to prove a handful for many opposition defences and Southampton will have their work cut out when they travel to Goodison Park.
- Santi CAZORLA [CHE(H), 9.3m] – Cazorla is a fantasy premier league player who continues to attract admirers for his impressive play in the middle for Arsenal and it’s clear that he will be an increasingly important figure for them as the season progresses. The matchup against Chelsea won’t be the easiest home game but Arsenal have enough about them to cause their defence some serious problems come Saturday lunchtime.
- Damien DUFF [MCI(H), 6.2m] – For our last midfield spot, we’ve gone for an interesting differential. Duff has slipped under the radar for most of the season with an ownership of just 8% but he has already scored three times to show his potency in front of goal. Man City have struggled defensively all season and are looking unlikely to turn their fortunes around at Craven Cottage where Fulham have an incredible home record.
- Steven FLETCHER [WIG(H), 7.2m] – Despite a lack of opportunities up front, Fletcher has shown his finishing quality by scoring in every game he has lined up for Sunderland. O’Neill will be hoping he can continue this form and with Adam Johnson set to return, Fletcher may be given some additional support in their game against Wigan to further his reputation as a deadly finisher.
- Robin VAN PERSIE [TOT(H), 13.5m] – United are about to embark on a difficult set of fixtures and Fergie will be more than happy that Rooney is back in the picture following a few weeks out. With this in mind, Van Persie should be guaranteed a starting role in most of these games if not all and with Rooney backing him up, the Dutchman should be given adequate support to add to his goal tally.
- Bobby ZAMORA [WHU(H), 6.4m] – With QPR languishing in the relegation zone with only 2 points to their name, the performances of Zamora have gone largely unnoticed. However, with 3 goals out of 4 for the Hoops, it might be about time that we started to pay attention. Hughes will have marked this game out as a must win and he will be looking to Zamora to lead the line come Monday night.
[box type=”info”]If you have any opinions on the Fantasy Football Addict Select XI, please share them with us by sending an email to email@example.com or by leaving a comment in the box below. Alternatively, you can tweet us at @FFAddicted or leave a message on our Facebook page. Also, don’t forget to like us for your chance to win a detailed analysis of your fantasy premier league squad in our monthly giveaway! For a second chance to win a squad analysis, join our “League of Addicts” by entering the following code: 98894-156973, GET INVOLVED![/box]
Image Credit: Flickr – wonker