After a pretty mediocre international break for England, it’s back to the game we love! Gameweek 8 is just a couple of days away and there are some cracking matches with Spurs against Chelsea topping the bill. Surprisingly, the FPL transfer market was pretty quiet with fantasy managers showing their restraint over the last two weeks whilst holding faith in their fantasy premier league squads.
To help you plan ahead for the weekend, we’ve taken a look at the fixtures and form, and have come up with some players you might want to consider bringing in or captaining for Gameweek 8. If you’re new to Fantasy Football Addict, this is our weekly segment where we choose 11 players in a valid formation to enter our Premier League Fantasy Select XI for the upcoming gameweek. So without further ado, here is our selection for the eighth gameweek of the season:
- Michel VORM [WIG(H), 5.6m] – Laudrup has recently came out saying how much he would like Swansea to keep a clean sheet this weekend. With this in mind, Vorm is a good shout for the 4 clean sheet points as Swansea take on Wigan who have not been prolific away from home this season.
- Glen JOHNSON [RDG(H), 6.4m] – Liverpool will be looking for a win this weekend as they host Reading in front of their home fans at Anfield. We can expect Reading to be on the back foot for most of the game giving Johnson the opportunity to push forward. At the same time, he will be looking for a second consecutive clean sheet after they held out Stoke in Gameweek 7.
- Thomas VERMAELEN [NOR(A), 7.1m] – Arsenal will be looking to continue their strong start to the season when they travel to Norwich in Gameweek 8. Vermaelen loves to get forward and poses a threat from set pieces with his aerial ability. With Norwich likely to see little of the ball, Vermaelen will be looking for a clean sheet to add to his tally for the season.
- RAFAEL Da Silva [STO(H), 5.9m] – With Jones and Smalling still out injured, the right back spot remains Rafael’s. Averaging 6 points for the last 4 premier league fantasy gameweeks, it’s clear that the Brazilian is reaping the rewards. At home to Stoke, United will be looking for a strong win to follow up their impressive performance in the last gameweek away to Newcastle.
- Gareth BALE [CHE(H), 9.5m] – Bale was instrumental in Wales’ win over Scotland with his second strike being a real firecracker. After a slow start, Bale has recently turned up the heat with 2 goals and 3 assists in his last 4 matches. The match against Chelsea won’t be easy but the home advantage is with the Welshman and we fancy him to cause the Chelsea defence some problems in the headline match of the gameweek.
- Miguel MICHU [WIG(H), 7.2m] – Michu rewarded those who stuck by him by grabbing a goal in Gameweek 7 and he will be looking to follow up that strike with another against Wigan. Although, Laudrup has talked about improving his defence, this is down to the fact that he believes Swansea create plenty of chances and if they keep a clean sheet, the result is likely to be a win in his eyes. Michu’s 5 goals this season are a testament to Swansea’s attacking potential.
- Santi CAZORLA (C) [NOR(A), 9.4m] – Cazorla has taken no time to settle into his debut fantasy premier league season. To continue his great start to the season, he scored a belter in the previous gameweek when they took on West Ham. With Norwich leaking goals at the moment, Cazorla is likely to cause them all sorts of problems and that’s why the Spaniard has been given the Captain’s armband in Gameweek 8.
- Kevin NOLAN [SOT(H), 6.3m] – Although, West Ham were on the wrong side of a 3-0 scoreline against Arsenal, things could have been quite different if Nolan had taken his chances in front of goal. With Carroll back from injury, Nolan is likely to have further opportunities to redeem himself against a Southampton side who are keen on attacking.
- Dimitar BERBATOV [AVL(H), 7.0m] – Berbatov showed his commitment to the Fulham cause in the snaps of him receiving oxygen treatment. With his retirement from international football, he has had a further two weeks to fully recuperate and get his fitness up to scratch. Aston Villa have been far from secure at the back and Berby will be looking to pick up from where he left off before his injury.
- Robin VAN PERSIE [STO(H), 13.4m] – Van Persie grabbed a goal on Tuesday against Romania and will be keen to add to his tally for the season when Stoke visit Old Trafford in Gameweek 8. Stoke did well to keep a clean sheet at Anfield in the last gameweek but Liverpool had several chances to score. If those chances fall to the Dutchman, they may not be so lucky.
- Luis SUAREZ [RDG(H), 9.6m] – Another international to score during the break was Suarez and the Liverpool fans will be hoping that he can continue his form when they take on Reading this weekend. Reading have struggled at the back this season and Suarez will no doubt cause them all manner of problems in Gameweek 8 as he looks to add to his 5 premier league goals so far.
[box type=”info”]If you have any opinions on the Fantasy Football Addict Select XI, please share them with us by sending an email to email@example.com or by leaving a comment in the box below. Alternatively, you can tweet us at @FFAddicted or leave a message on our Facebook page. Also, don’t forget to like us for your chance to win a detailed analysis of your fantasy premier league squad in our monthly giveaway! For a second chance to win a squad analysis, join our “League of Addicts” by entering the following code: 98894-156973, GET INVOLVED![/box]
Image Credit: Flickr – Ronnie Macdonald