Gameweek 9 is quickly approaching and there are some crackers this weekend. On Sunday at 1.30pm, we have the Merseyside derby where Everton play host to Liverpool, which is likely to be a feisty affair. To finish things off at 4pm, we have a potential belter with Chelsea taking on United at Stamford Bridge. With both sides struggling at the back we could be in for a goalfest, although many fantasy premier league managers are likely to hand their armbands to alternative squad members.
To help you plan ahead for the weekend, we’ve taken a look at the fixtures and form, and have come up with some players you might want to consider bringing in or captaining for Gameweek 9. If you’re new to Fantasy Football Addict, this is our weekly segment where we choose 11 players in a valid formation to enter our Premier League Fantasy Select XI for the upcoming gameweek. So without further ado, here is our selection for the ninth gameweek of the season:
- Tim KRUL [WBA(H), 5.3m] – With Krul and Coloccini back, Newcastle looked a lot safer at the back in the Tyne-Wearside derby and with some favourable fixtures round the corner, there could be clean sheets coming their way. Krul will definitely be looking for one when they take on the Baggies this weekend who have only scored twice on their travels this season.
- Vincent KOMPANY [SWA(H), 7.3m] – City have not looked great defensively this season but they are still a force to be reckoned with. Kompany comes at a hefty price but the City captain is by far the safest option. With Swansea failing to score in all 3 of their matches away from home, City will be looking to bounce back from their defeat to Ajax with a clean sheet and a win in front of their home fans.
- Carl JENKINSON [QPR(H), 5.2m] – Arsenal have struggled in their last two matches but Wenger will be eager for them to regain their confidence before they lose more points. A home game against QPR provides a great opportunity and Jenkinson has the potential to score points at both ends of the pitch. Sagna is still regaining fitness in reserve matches and Jenkinson should get the nod whilst the Frenchman makes his way back from injury.
- Marc WILSON [SUN(H), 4.5m] – With Liverpool and United out of the way, Stoke now embark on a very favourable premier league fantasy run starting at home to Sunderland. Despite having a one man advantage, Sunderland still struggled against Newcastle and the signs for the Wearside club do not look too good. Stoke are always a handful at home and Pulis will be targeting a win this weekend. At 4.5m, Wilson offers a budget way into the Stoke backline for fantasy football managers.
- Leighton BAINES [LIV(H), 7.5m] – Baines is having an excellent season so far highlighting his attacking ability and his prospects as a fantasy premier league defender. The match against Liverpool won’t be the easiest but it is likely to be played at a fast tempo with chances coming at either end. A clean sheet may not be guaranteed but with Liverpool squandering chances and Baines on set pieces, he takes the final defensive spot in our Select XI.
- Gareth BALE (C) [SOT(A), 9.5m] – Bale was missed in the incredible match where Spurs lost to Chelsea due to the birth of his child but is set to be back for this weekend’s fixture. Southampton are not known for keeping clean sheets and are unlikely to do so in Gameweek 9. The Saints defence will definitely have their work cut out preventing Bale from scoring as he’s likely to have been practicing his cradle celebration every night this week.
- Juan MATA [MUN(H), 9.1m] – Mata has been in incredible form of late and it comes as no surprise that he has already risen by 0.2m this week. The match against United will be tricky but home advantage favours Chelsea. United have been far from strong defensively and they will be given a stern test by the Chelsea attack come Sunday afternoon.
- Santi CAZORLA [QPR(H), 9.5m] – Bould has recently come out saying Arsenal are lacking confidence and he will be looking for a reaction from Arsenal in the coming fantasy premier league gameweek. Cazorla is clearly their main creative talent and if Arsenal are to score goals, the little Spaniard will have a hand in them. QPR have struggled defensively all season and Arsenal will be looking to take advantage of this in a return to form.
- DEMBA BA [WBA(H), 8.3m] – Demba Ba has been in great form recently with 5 goals and an assist in his last 5 games. With Newcastle embarking on a good run of fixtures, it’s fair to say we will see increased investment in the Senegalese striker. With Cisse clearly out of form, it is incredibly unlikely that Demba Ba will be pushed back out onto the wing. Although, the Baggies have performed admirably this season, it will come as no surprise if they lose this match at St. James’ Park.
- Robin VAN PERSIE [CHE(A), 13.4m] – Van Persie rewarded his fantasy managers last weekend with an 11 point haul at home to Stoke and no doubt they will be looking for a similar return in Gameweek 9. It’s hard to say how the game will pan out but Chelsea are a team that are not set out to defend and with Terry out they are weaker defensively. Playing on the counter attack may suit United and Van Persie is likely to be furthest forward on more than one occasion as he looks to add to his goal tally for the season.
- Sergio AGUERO [SWA(H), 11.1m] – There is a doubt over whether Aguero will start this match as he played the full 90 against Ajax but with confidence at a low point, Mancini will want a dominant win over Swansea. With that in mind, Aguero takes our final spot in the Select XI. The Argentinian is an incredible talent and will cause all sorts of problems for the Swansea defence if he is given the opportunity this weekend.
[box type=”info”]If you have any opinions on the Fantasy Football Addict Select XI, please share them with us by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by leaving a comment in the box below. Alternatively, you can tweet us at @FFAddicted or leave a message on our Facebook page. Also, don’t forget to like us for your chance to win a detailed analysis of your fantasy premier league squad in our monthly giveaway! For a second chance to win a squad analysis, join our “League of Addicts” by entering the following code: 98894-156973, GET INVOLVED![/box]
Image Credit: Flickr – Ronnie Macdonald